Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Runner: Regarding MS v Linux

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Regarding MS v Linux

If I had the ability to swith my operating system from Windows (I am not sure if "Windows" is the operating system) to Linux .. what would I do about using traditional MS based software such as Microsoft Office?

Also what about other third party programs such as the CV stuff?

Is a switch like this simply to much to contemplate for a "regular guy."

Lastly -what about going back to Windows 98 to get away from the MS intrusions? Of course, I didn't trust MS back then much more than I do now.

Thanks for any help.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Re: Regarding MS v Linux

> If I had the ability to swith my operating
    > system from Windows (I am not sure if
    > "Windows" is the operating system)
    > to Linux .. what would I do about using
    > traditional MS based software such as
    > Microsoft Office?

Answers: OpenOffice is the free office suite software that can run and open/save every app that MS office has, with the rare [only a couple of features] exception of MS Outlook [of which evolution is almost there. evolution is comparable to outlook]. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend doing this. The author in his recommendations would be my recommendation [amended for most windows users] for most people, and that's to use [acquire] an OLD system, keep using Windows 95/98/Me and then on a new(er) system use XP, and if it's networked to use netbuei as the network protocol to connect both systems to each other.

> Also what about other third party programs
    > such as the CV stuff?

Unless Norm is writing the port to *nix, that's not likely.

> Is a switch like this simply to much to
    > contemplate for a "regular guy."

See above.

> Lastly -what about going back to Windows 98
    > to get away from the MS intrusions? Of
    > course, I didn't trust MS back then much
    > more than I do now.

That'll work, but memory is still the main drawback to win 95/98 systems

cheers
    bfb

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Thanks

> .. to use [acquire] an OLD system, keep using
    > Windows 95/98/Me and then on a new(er)
    > system use XP, and if it's networked to use
    > netbuei as the network protocol to connect
    > both systems to each other.

That is what I do now -I have long felt that surreptitious (sp) intrusions from the internet were possible be it from MS or others -but it hacks me a little to have to do it this way and lately I've been doing it with XP! Geez.

I have heard Parker, Norm, and others go on about the smooth operations of Linux but when I start to factor in the practicality of interfacing with other users around me, it seems to be a big learning curve with limited utility.

Then there is the simple need to sync Outlook to my Palm and cell phone.. could I do that through the Linux based software?

Thanks.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Hold on

Yes I complain greatly about MS and think it's a shame that the richest person in the US got that way by selling crap. But, I am not a fan of *nix. For normal uses, Windows is fine. In fact, the latest releases are reasonable for most users. My BJStats site runs under Win2000 and the only crash this year was caused by the blackout. My QFIT website was converted from Win2000 to Unix two months ago and I have been very unhappy with that decision. Unix (like JAVA and C) is case sensitive - in my mind an insane design point that has caused me much grief. I'm always happy to commiserate with fellow victims of Bill Gates. But, I would not suggest that someone switch to *nix without a specific need.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Re: Hold on

I agree with Norm [see previous post]that most windows users don't need to change. In fact, you can get a cheap, really cheap box and use win 95/98 for the internet, and use a more recent box with XP for normal work.

It's less painful for most users.
    As much as I like linux/unix, it's still not as user friendly for most windows users to justify the learning curve.
    JMO

cheers
    bfb

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Mac OS X

> It's less painful for most users.
    > As much as I like linux/unix, it's still not
    > as user friendly for most windows users to
    > justify the learning curve.
    > JMO

Very true, unless it's Mac OS X.

Unix-based but uses Apple's innovative desktop
    Runs Microsoft Office
    Seamlessly networks with Windows boxes
    Very few viruses. No email-triggered virii, e.g. no outlook.

I love Linux, but OS X is the ultimately desktop. I about ruined my monitor when I discovered I could use the Apple GUI and perl on the same machine.

Good Cards,

V

Magician

Magician: Downgrading

> to get away from the MS intrusions?

In my experience it's best to stick with the version of Windows that your system came with. Both upgrading and downgrading often have detrimental results.

Parker

Parker: The great Linux debate

> If I had the ability to swith my operating
    > system from Windows (I am not sure if
    > "Windows" is the operating system)
    > to Linux .. what would I do about using
    > traditional MS based software such as
    > Microsoft Office?

"Windows" is indeed the operating system, or OS for short. And, you have the ability. You have the power!

As others have mentioned, OpenOffice.org is very similar to the MS Office suite and is about 99% compatable with Office file types.

For just about any Windows application, there is usually a Linux program that performs the same function (often several programs).

There is Linux software available for Palm Pilots, digital cameras, scanners, and most other hardware. As soon as any sort of new gadget starts becoming popular, you can bet that some Linux hacker somewhere will start trying to get it to run under Linux.

> Also what about other third party programs
    > such as the CV stuff?

Ahem. That is still, shall we say, an issue.

> Is a switch like this simply to much to
    > contemplate for a "regular guy."

Depends. Do you enjoy tinkering with your computer, as opposed to simply doing things like word processing, surfing the 'Net, or checking your e-mail.

The latest versions of most of the popular varieties of Linux have graphic installation routines that make installing Linux no more difficult than Windows, arguably even simpler.

> to get away from the MS intrusions? Of
    > course, I didn't trust MS back then much
    > more than I do now.

I have recently upgraded my Windows partitions to Windows 2000, and I must grudgingly admit that this is superior to Windows 98, and seemingly without the privacy issues of XP. While not as stable as Linux, Windows 2000 seems to be remarkably crash-free, at least in comparison to Win98 and earlier versions.

Getting back to the Linux installation, it is possible to install Linux in your computer to run alongside Windows. You first use a utility such as Partition Magic to create some space on your hard drive upon which to install Linux, and then run the Linux installation program.

You will then have what is called a "dual-boot" system. When you first boot up your computer, you are presented with a choice. You may boot Windows, and everything will appear and run as before. Or, you can boot Linux, and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes. :-)

I keep a small Windows partition on my main computers, primarily for running programs such as CV and BJRM2000.

Linux has come a long way in user-friendliness and hardware compatability in the last couple of years, but there are still problems.

For example, I can use and burn CD's, both data and music, but I still haven't been able to get my DVD players to work under Linux. I also am having problems with wireless networking cards on my laptop.

Both of these things are doable, I just haven't personally been able to do them. Fortunately, there is a large Linux community that I can turn to for support. There are any number of websites, and forums where I can ask questions. Most Linux users are passionate about the OS, and enjoy helping newbies.

Of course, I don't have these problems with Windows. I just run the installation software that came with the DVD player/network card, and everything works fine.

This is what I meant when I asked if you enjoy tinkering with your computer. I find that getting things to work under Linux is challenging and entertaining. Others might find it to be merely a pain in the ass.

Have I lost you yet? If not, here is an easy, inexpensive way to find out if Linux is for you:

Go to the Cheapbytes.com (link below) and order the Knoppix Linux CD for $4.95, plus shipping. (This is a way cool website, BTW.)

This is a "live" CD. You boot from the CD, and it installs a complete Linux operating system, including the common office applications, browsers, etc., entirely in your computer's memory. Your hard drive remains untouched.

You then can play with Linux to your heart's content, and when you are finished, remove the CD and boot up as usual, and your computer will be the same as it was - nothing changed.

You need to have at least 128 MB RAM in your computer for this to function smoothly.

Parker

Parker: Up/down

> In my experience it's best to stick with the
    > version of Windows that your system came
    > with. Both upgrading and downgrading often
    > have detrimental results.

When upgrading, I've found that it's best to do a clean install. That is, save all your important data files on CD, Zip drives, etc., re-format the hard drive, and do a fresh install.

When "downgrading," you wouldn't really have a choice - you would have to do it this way.

The only real problem you'd be likely to run into is that you would probably have to go to the vendors of the various components of your system - video card, sound card, network card, etc. - and download the drivers for the appropriate operating system, as they probably wouldn't be in the install disk's driver database.

Downgrading is usually easier than upgrading. An upgrade usually requires more memory, drive space, etc, and you may run into things like BIOS problems, or there may not be hardwares drivers available in the new OS for older hardware.

None of his is usually a problem with downgrading. A 3 Gig Pentium 4 with 512 MB RAM will run DOS just fine. :-)

Parker

Parker: One problem

I agree that the Mac OS X is one awesome operating system - powerful, rock-stable, and extremely user friendly. There is only one thing wrong with it:

It only works on Macs.

So, switching to OS-X will involve a major hardware purchase for the PC user. And Mac's ain't cheap.

Linux, OTOH, is free.

Magician

Magician: Re: Up/down

> When upgrading, I've found that it's best to
    > do a clean install. That is, save all your
    > important data files on CD, Zip drives,
    > etc., re-format the hard drive, and do a
    > fresh install.

Strongly agree. Even better, keep the old hard drive itself as a backup and install on a new hard drive.

> None of his is usually a problem with
    > downgrading. A 3 Gig Pentium 4 with 512 MB
    > RAM will run DOS just fine. :-)

But don't expect all of your software and peripherals to work as well. Sometimes software isn't supported on older OSs and manufacturers don't always make drivers for them.

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: The great Linux debate

> Ahem. That is still, shall we say, an issue.

Not for too long. Wine is improving day after day and actually you can run BJRM2000 under Wine. Besides, there are other windows emulators that can work with any application. Of course, they are not free.

> Go to the Cheapbytes.com (link below) and
    > order the Knoppix Linux CD for $4.95, plus
    > shipping. (This is a way cool website, BTW.)

> This is a "live" CD. You boot from
    > the CD, and it installs a complete Linux
    > operating system, including the common
    > office applications, browsers, etc.,
    > entirely in your computer's memory. Your
    > hard drive remains untouched.

> You then can play with Linux to your heart's
    > content, and when you are finished, remove
    > the CD and boot up as usual, and your
    > computer will be the same as it was -
    > nothing changed.

> You need to have at least 128 MB RAM in your
    > computer for this to function smoothly.

Very interesting!

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Parker .

.. always an intellignet response. And I know that answer took more than a few minutes to pen.

Question -

.. does CV run on a MAC?
    .. has anyone found the Apple boys to be as devious and un-trustworthy as the MS boys seem to be?

If yes .. and no .. then I think, for me, the answer would be a major sea-change to MACs.

Yes, I like to "tinker" on my computer. That is to say I like to know what is going on underneath.

But a switch to Linux .. probably to much of a time investment for me. I'll check out "cheapbytes."

Thanks again, as always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast