Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun Runner: Regarding MS v Linux

Parker

Parker: Wine whine

> Not for too long. Wine is improving day
    > after day and actually you can run BJRM2000
    > under Wine. Besides, there are other windows
    > emulators that can work with any
    > application. Of course, they are not free.

I tried running CV under WINE a year or so ago (whenever we last had this discussion) and didn't have much luck. However, as you mention, WINE is improving with age, so perhaps I should take another look.

The Knoppix CD is a neat little toy. They pack a lot of Linux on one CD. It has the KDE desktop, OpenOffice.Org, Mozilla, both ethernet and dialup networking, and most of the usual Linux apps. It uses aggressive hardware auto-probing and has drivers for most common components, including sound cards and printers.

I like to use it when I have to use someone elses computer. Since everything is done in RAM, it leaves no footprints - remove the CD, reboot, and it is like you were never there.

I also like to use it for troubleshooting a sick computer. If it boots and runs okay, you can rule out hardware problems - except for the hard disk. :-)

Parker

Parker: Re: Parker .

> .. always an intelligent response. And I
    > know that answer took more than a few
    > minutes to pen.

> Question -

> .. does CV run on a MAC?

There is no Mac version. However, there are some pretty good PC emulators for Mac's. This is Mac software that essentially makes the application program think it's running on a PC. I know of people who were able to run earlier versions of CV on earlier versions of the Mac OS using an emulator, but I'm not sure about the current version of CV and Mac OS-X.

Of course, I'm no Mac expert. Viktor is - perhaps he will chime in.

> .. has anyone found the Apple boys to be as
    > devious and un-trustworthy as the MS boys
    > seem to be?

I think I can safely say that Steve Jobs is not Bill Gates, without igniting a storm of controversy. :-)

> If yes .. and no .. then I think, for me,
    > the answer would be a major sea-change to
    > MACs.

As I mentioned in another post, switching to Mac's requires all new hardware. Linux will more than likely run on whatever you have.

> Yes, I like to "tinker" on my
    > computer. That is to say I like to know what
    > is going on underneath.

> But a switch to Linux .. probably to much of
    > a time investment for me. I'll check out
    > "cheapbytes."

The learning curve is indeed somewhat steep, especially at first. Cheapbytes is a good place to get other Linux distibutions, as well as the Knoppix CD.

However, if you should decide to get serious about Linux, I recommend buying one of the "official" distribution packages, such as the Redhat or Suse personal editions. These are quite reasonably priced (around $40) especially when compared to Windows, and considering that they include a manual that is actually useful as well as technical support.

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: Wine whine

> The Knoppix CD is a neat little toy. They
    > pack a lot of Linux on one CD. It has the
    > KDE desktop, OpenOffice.Org, Mozilla, both
    > ethernet and dialup networking, and most of
    > the usual Linux apps. It uses aggressive
    > hardware auto-probing and has drivers for
    > most common components, including sound
    > cards and printers.

> I like to use it when I have to use someone
    > elses computer. Since everything is done in
    > RAM, it leaves no footprints - remove the
    > CD, reboot, and it is like you were never
    > there.

> I also like to use it for troubleshooting a
    > sick computer. If it boots and runs okay,
    > you can rule out hardware problems - except
    > for the hard disk. :-)

I knew of another unix version called "Trinux". They are three diskettes which you can freely download from the web and it also runs on your RAM. The beauty of this is that you don't need a bootable CD drive. Besides you can save your personal preferences (like the network configuration) in the same bootable diskette.
    Give it a try if you have the time.

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

Parker

Parker: Re: Wine whine

> I knew of another unix version called
    > "Trinux". They are three diskettes
    > which you can freely download from the web
    > and it also runs on your RAM. The beauty of
    > this is that you don't need a bootable CD
    > drive. Besides you can save your personal
    > preferences (like the network configuration)
    > in the same bootable diskette.
    > Give it a try if you have the time.

I'm familiar with these "tiny Linuxes." Trinux seems to be security-oriented.

I frequently use something similar called Tomsrtbt. It is a complete Linux operating system with a lot of useful tools that fits (barely) on a single floppy disk.

It's good for troubleshooting, virus removal, and prepping hard disks prior to installing a full OS.

You can make one for yourself at: www.toms.net/rb/

The only problem with these small distributions is that, in order to fit on a floppy disk(s) one gives up a lot - like a GUI, for example. It is necessary to be comfortable with the command line in order to use them.

That's the cool thing about Knoppix - it installs a fairly complete system - GUI, web browser, office suite, and much of what is found on a "real" Linux system such as Redhat or Suse.

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: Wine whine

> I'm familiar with these "tiny
    > Linuxes." Trinux seems to be
    > security-oriented.

> I frequently use something similar called
    > Tomsrtbt. It is a complete Linux operating
    > system with a lot of useful tools that fits
    > (barely) on a single floppy disk.

> It's good for troubleshooting, virus
    > removal, and prepping hard disks prior to
    > installing a full OS.

> You can make one for yourself at:
    > www.toms.net/rb/

I'll take a look. Thanks.

> The only problem with these small
    > distributions is that, in order to fit on a
    > floppy disk(s) one gives up a lot - like a
    > GUI, for example. It is necessary to be
    > comfortable with the command line in order
    > to use them.

> That's the cool thing about Knoppix - it
    > installs a fairly complete system - GUI, web
    > browser, office suite, and much of what is
    > found on a "real" Linux system
    > such as Redhat or Suse.

One question: Do you have to configure your network parameters every time you reboot the computer? or is it there a possibility to save the configuration into a floppy?

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

Parker

Parker: Preferences

> One question: Do you have to configure your
    > network parameters every time you reboot the
    > computer? or is it there a possibility to
    > save the configuration into a floppy?

Yes - it gives you the option to save all your configuration and preferences, either to a floppy (or other removable storage media) or to a file on the host conmputer hard disk.

I found that I didn't have to do any configuration. If you're using ethernet with DHCP, it auto-detects your ethernet card and pretty much configures itself. If you use static IP addresses, then you have to do a little configuration. Same with a dialup connection, although it has a wizard that walks you through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12