Thread: Don Schlesinger: DSL vs. Cable modem question

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: DSL vs. Cable modem question

My daughter will soon be moving into her own apartment and has to decide between Verizon DSL Internet service and Cablevision Optimum Online.

Can someone describe for me any pros and cons you know for each. What are the basic differences in quality and reliability of service?

I currently have Optimum Online, through Cablevision, and everything is fast and reliable. But Jodi has worked out that the finances will be somewhat better with DSL (coupled with her telephone service), provided she isn't really sacrificing any quality by going the DSL route.

Your comments and guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Don

AsZehn

AsZehn: Re: DSL vs. Cable modem question

> My daughter will soon be moving into her own
    > apartment and has to decide between Verizon
    > DSL Internet service and Cablevision Optimum
    > Online.

> Can someone describe for me any pros and
    > cons you know for each. What are the basic
    > differences in quality and reliability of
    > service?

Cable is faster. DSL is supposed to be more secure and cheaper. Each geographic area seems to have different reception issues. Some cable companies have better track records than others. I would speak with the neighbors and find out what their experiences have been.

AZ

> I currently have Optimum Online, through
    > Cablevision, and everything is fast and
    > reliable. But Jodi has worked out that the
    > finances will be somewhat better with DSL
    > (coupled with her telephone service),
    > provided she isn't really sacrificing any
    > quality by going the DSL route.

> Your comments and guidance would be much
    > appreciated. Thank you.

> Don

bfbagain

bfbagain: Re: DSL vs. Cable modem question

Hi Don, maybe I can help.

> Online.

> service?

Simple Rule for home high-speed service if cost options are approx equal: If available,take cable modem service 1st, then DSL, then satellite.

Why? Cable modem, although pooled [developed areas of cable service will actually show slower connection speeds than comparable dsl [read:adsl for home] but if undeveloped, will likely provide monster connection speeds until developed.

Facts: most home "adsl" service will provide 608kb/s downstream and 128kb/s upstream. Many providers will offer 1.5Mb/s [comparable to a T1 line] downstream and 256/384kb/s upstream. Now, basic cable access will do the same, however, because it is "shared" service, [like a party line], when undeveloped [read: low number of subscribers utilizing service] the pipe [bandwidth] is HUGE [often in the neighborhood of 9MB/s +] so for a time, she'll be getting monster speeds at the same price as a home dsl circuit.

PacBell was running [about a year ago] some hilarious dsl vs cable ads depicting this issue about cable pooling.

Security does need to be addressed a little more with cable then dsl. If XP user, turn on the firewall. If not, suggest zonealarm. Don't forget a antivirus program

bfb

> Don

Parker

Parker: Re: DSL vs. Cable modem question

> Online.

> service?

I use a cable modem (Time-Warner Roadrunner) at home, and I have stayed at a few hotels that had DSL service wired into the rooms.

Cable is supposed to be faster, but I could not see any perceptable difference. Of course, I didn't try anything like downloading a 50 MB file and timing it.

Also, I may have been somewhat giddy over not being forced (like I usually am) to use a dial-up connection while on the road. :-)

Cable is a pooled service - if everyone in your neighborhood decides to go online and download huge files (or perform other bandwidth-consuming tasks) at the same time, everything slows down. My cable service is sometimes noticeably slower on Saturday nights than at 4:00 am on a Tuesday. DSL does not have this limitation.

DSL is, at least in theory, more secure than cable.

I would suggest going with whatever is cheaper, but avoid signing any long-term contracts. Both are far, far superior to dial-up connections.

A lot depends on the individual providers. I was one of the first to sign up with RoadRunner when it first came to San Diego several years ago, and it took them a couple of years to get their act together. I heard several horror stories when the local phone company first started offering DSL.

Now, DSL is available in my area and it would save me a few dollars a month, but I have not found any compelling reason to make the switch.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: One comment on cable pooling

Yes it is true that as a cable pool grows performance can be affected. So, get together with the other members of the pool and complain to the cable company. They can always split the pool.

xxi

xxi: Cable installation much easier.

Everyone I know with DSL needed multiple visits with different providers (phone co., DSL, and sometimes an outside ISP) to get it working. It can be a major hassle and everyone blames "the other company" for problems.

Cable is a "one-stop" option. The cable guy comes and you're sure it works when he leaves.

Either way, once you have broadband, you can't go back to dial-up.