Thread: Titaniumman: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Titaniumman

Titaniumman: (Message Deleted by Poster)

bigplayer

bigplayer: Re: Outlook Express is acting funky.

Go into the Tools/Options menu and check to be sure that "Check Messages at Startup" or the Check messages every __ minutes" boxes are appropriately checked.

It could be that when you open Outlook it isn't automatically checking for messages...or that if you're leaving it open it's not checking for messages periodically (if you have an always on connection).

bp

Titaniumman

Titaniumman: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Parker

Parker: You really should get a different e-mail client.

> Thanks, I checked a couple of days ago.

> I do have a DSL always on connection, and
    > the setting is frequent.

> The problem has gone away, so I kind of
    > think that it was with Outlook.

Not only does Outlook occasionally do weird things such as this, it has many security holes that hackers love to exploit.

There are many other e-mail clients around. Some are free, others are very reasonably priced.

MikeyVegas

MikeyVegas: Re: You really should get a different e-mail clien

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer Eudora as an email client. It has all the functionality that I need and above all else, it's FREE!

Parker

Parker: E-mail clients

> Just my 2 cents, but I prefer Eudora as an
    > email client. It has all the functionality
    > that I need and above all else, it's FREE!

Eudora is indeed one of the best. Of course, since it is a product of San Diego-based Qualcomm, I confess to a bit of hometown bias.

The only thing wrong with the free version of Eudora is the ad panel, which is what makes it free. They will sell you an ad-free version for $40.

Another of my favorites is the grandaddy of e-mail clients, Pegasus. This has a boatload of features, no ad panel, and yet it is also free. There is even a DOS version that is still available

The Mozilla and Opera web browsers also include serviceable e-mail clients, as does Netscape. These are all free.

The free version of Opera also incorporates an ad panel. Again, the ad-free version is about $40. Mozilla and Netscape are both free and have no ad panel.

Since I'm running Linux, Eudora and Pegasus are not options, but I find that the e-mail client included with the Linux version of Mozilla is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Links:

Eudora: www.eudora.com
    Pegasus: www.pmail.com
    Mozilla: www.mozilla.org
    Opera: www. opera.com

There are a multitude of shareware e-mail clients. Just go to tucows or download.com and do a search.

For something really different, try Net-tamer. This is a DOS e-mail client and newsgroup reader that will run on a 286 (remember those?). The full-featured version requires more modern hardware - a 386 with a math co-processor. :-)

This is strictly text - it chokes on HTML or embedded graphics.

If you have an old computer lying around, this is a possible use for it. The program can also be run in a DOS window on Windows computers. It is fun to play with, and can be found at: www.nettamer.net/tamer.html

As I mentioned earlier, it amazes me that anyone still uses Outlook, with all its security holes, when there are so many other options available.