Thread: Wildcard: best way to remove old ISP software?

Wildcard

Wildcard: best way to remove old ISP software?

PeoplePC, which is my current ISP has just about gotten on my very last nerve. I expect I'll fire them soon and go with Earthlink at $17.95/month.

Is "add/remove" software the best way to dump PeoplePC once I make the transition?

Any downside to Earthlink as an ISP?

Thanks,
    Wildcard

Parker

Parker: Re: best way to remove old ISP software?

> PeoplePC, which is my current ISP has just
    > about gotten on my very last nerve. I expect
    > I'll fire them soon and go with Earthlink at
    > $17.95/month.

> Is "add/remove" software the best
    > way to dump PeoplePC once I make the
    > transition?

The best way to remove a program is to use its own uninstaller. Of course, not all programs come with such conveniences. The next choice is the add/remove software function on your control panel. If it is not listed there, you may have to resort to 3rd party uninstallers.

Or, just delete the shortcut to it in your start menu, and any icons on your desktop, and fuhgeddaboudit. It probably doesn't take up a lot of disk space.

Never try to remove a program simply by deleting files or folders. This is an excellent way to really screw up your computer.

> Any downside to Earthlink as an ISP?

I have had an Earthlink account since they were a little startup run by a couple of computer geeks in Los Angeles. I never get busy signals, they are rarely down, support is usually quick, and they have local access numbers just about everywhere (except Tunica and Laughlin, dammit!).

Wildcard

Wildcard: thanks Parker

I recall this discussion some time ago and you indicated you had Earthlink.

I don't understand PeoplePC...I must have 20 numbers pumped into their call up file and yet there are times when it takes 15-20 minutes to get connected. They never show the baud rate, so I don't know if I'm in at 1200bps, or 34000bps.

Often times when I seem to connect quickly, I get dropped within a few minutes. Customer no-service seems to me the norm, I sent them an email complaining 4 days ago...no response.

They used to have an exclusive with Delta Airlines, but do to cost-cutting measures (Delta was picking up the internet tab), they passed the ISP costs on to employees. Well, for $9.95 a month, I thought I had the deal of the day. It ain't no deal when you can't hook up!

So, I think it's time for Earthlink at $17.95.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: best way to remove old ISP software?

> The best way to remove a program is to use
    > its own uninstaller. Of course, not all
    > programs come with such conveniences. The
    > next choice is the add/remove software
    > function on your control panel.

Sorry, that's not the current standard. The current Windows standard is to not provide an uninstaller that isn't called by add/remove. CV products used to have executable uninstaller programs. But they are dangerous as they can delete shared modules. CV now follows the new standard that uses the Windows directory to register modules and registers its uninstall program. In that manner, the add/remove function can remove all unshared files related to your application and decrease the counters for shared modules and only remove then when the counters hit zero. It's a messy process and far from perfect as it only works if everyone follows the standard. But, it's moving in the right direction. If you install a program that has its own uninstaller - it is in violation of the standard and could possibly mess up other apps.

Parker

Parker: Re: best way to remove old ISP software?

> Sorry, that's not the current standard. The
    > current Windows standard is to not provide
    > an uninstaller that isn't called by
    > add/remove. CV products used to have
    > executable uninstaller programs. But they
    > are dangerous as they can delete shared
    > modules. CV now follows the new standard
    > that uses the Windows directory to register
    > modules and registers its uninstall program.
    > In that manner, the add/remove function can
    > remove all unshared files related to your
    > application and decrease the counters for
    > shared modules and only remove then when the
    > counters hit zero. It's a messy process and
    > far from perfect as it only works if
    > everyone follows the standard. But, it's
    > moving in the right direction. If you
    > install a program that has its own
    > uninstaller - it is in violation of the
    > standard and could possibly mess up other
    > apps.

So you're saying I'm outdated? :-)

Oh, well.

To be honest, I don't buy a great deal of Windows software these days. You would certainly know a great deal more about these things than I.

Actually, I recently installed a few of your products, but I didn't notice that the Uninstaller was gone. Then again, I didn't look. Why would I possibly want to uninstall them?