Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Schlesinger: Help: A weird problem

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Nope

> of your problem, try restarting your
    > computer, and then run BJRM again.

Thanks, but nope. Three of the first 16 trials were more than 3.7-SD events!

Don

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Help: A weird problem

Correct. There was also a relevant bug in the Pentium 200Pro. But very few people bought the chip. The FDIV bug is not a problem in Visual Basic because it checks to see if the failure might occur and works around it. Also, although a linear-congruential generator is a modulo function, and by definition a modulo function is considered a divide function, no divide operation is actually performed. An AND and/or a SHIFT instruction are/is used instead as they are vastly faster and have the same (actually better) results given the divisor is a power of 2.

Regards,
    norm

John Auston

John Auston: Don's Problem Solved

Thanks to the info from Norm, regarding the Randomize function, I've changed the Random Walk code so that it now also works fine on computers as old as Don's! :-)

As Norm mentioned, if you over-call the Randomize function, you are essentially using the system clock as an RNG. This does not show much adverse affect on the newer computers, but would on the older.

I changed how often I called Randomize, and now Don is getting "normal" results.

I'm also working on getting a better RNG than the one native to VB.

John

Igor

Igor: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Parker

Parker: Re: Your next system

> Do NOT buy a computer from a department
    > store or a chain computer store or an office
    > supply retailer. Find the Value Added
    > Reseller (VAR) in your area patronized by
    > the computer geeks and the professional
    > computer technicians. The difference is
    > night and day.

This is excellent advice. You will generally get a better system for your dollar, while avoiding the pitfalls of a proprietary system that Igor alluded to above. You will also enjoy a level of service unknown at the major chains.

Just look for one that has been around for a few years. If they have survived in today's economy, they are probably doing things right.

If you live in the San Diego area, I highly recommend Computer Circulation Center (corner of Ruffin and Clairmont Mesa Blvd., just west of I-15, behind Wells Fargo). I have been doing business with these guys for years, and they have always treated me right. (Unsolicited endorsement - I have no financial interest in this company.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12