Thread: Wolverine: Speaking of back offs

Wolverine

Wolverine: Speaking of back offs

Had my first real brush with 'true' heat recently. Mild compared to what most of you have been through, but wondered how badly my game is going to be watched/affected in the future. Any ideas?

Spreading 1-4 in a good SD game. I don't think I got an 8 unit bet out there, but I could be wrong (so much play in so little time). No session longer than about an hour. No real win in 3 or 4 sessions over a weekend, broke even mostly, down a few hundred at worst. The shift manager dropped into the pit and stood next to the floor and watched my play covertly (yes, I'm absolutely sure--I counted faster and saw eyes still working the table when I glanced up many times). No obvious countermeasures taken that I could tell. The shift left the pit immediately after I packed up my chips (I lost a few units) and went to cash out.

Will they watch video of my play later to pick it apart? Can I walk into this joint again on this shift and play, or have I been burned? I tossed out a 2 unit bet near the end with a nice -2 RC late in a shoe to try to lay some cover before I left. My next chance to hit this good game will be in a few months--think they will have forgotten me? Maybe I "forget" my players card in the car?

Parker

Parker: Not heat

They were watching you play.

So what?

That's what they get paid to do.

I wouldn't give it another thought.

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis: Better Get Used to This

> Had my first real brush with 'true' heat
    > recently. Mild compared to what most of you
    > have been through, but wondered how badly my
    > game is going to be watched/affected in the
    > future. Any ideas?

> The shift manager dropped
    > into the pit and stood next to the floor and
    > watched my play covertly (yes, I'm
    > absolutely sure--I counted faster and saw
    > eyes still working the table when I glanced
    > up many times). No obvious countermeasures
    > taken that I could tell.

This is normal, don't worry about it. Now, when you put a big bet out and the dealer shuffles or the pit gets a phone call and the guy/gal picking it up looks your way, you many want to start thinking about a graceful retreat.

Next time the guy walks over to watch, engage him in BS conversation. Be really nice, he may comp you to the buffet

PM

Wolverine

Wolverine: Re: Better Get Used to This

Thanks for the comments, but since I was there, there was nothing "normal" or "nice" about this person. They were definitely watching ME and not too happy about the situation.

It was a good lesson in what to look for in the future as this becomes more common. Thanks.

drumz1

drumz1: Re: Speaking of back offs

As long as you were not playing at the Hollywood, I don't think I'd worry about it. Hollywood is known for it's heat, and it is quick to flyer, as well. Obviously, I do not play at the Hollywood.

My advice (FWIW) is to just keep sessions short and use cover.

Regards,
    drumz1