> No shoes?

Sure. You could wong shoes with a small spread if you are very diciplined. Wonging is a little more advanced and increases the distractions but if you can do it why not. This would be the lowest risk strategy with your bankroll.
Your EV would be about $2 and you would still be playing with a greater risk than most would be comfortable with.

> I am afraid of SD as the cards are dealt face down
> making it difficult to count if not played head on vs.
> the dealer, probably not too likely for SD,
> particularly with low limits.

Dog Hand has great advice below about playing SD. If you search the forum you will find equally good advice from Parker and others. The other nice thing about counting SD is the game is over so quick that your are back to a fresh deck frequently so losing the count is less of a big deal than with a shoe.

> I have been "learning" for over three years
> now, and did not spend all that time, effort, and
> money(over $500) just to learn how to lose gracefully.

> Sorry, I was just a bit frustrated about everybody
> telling me to expect to lose a little.

But didn't you learn about bankrolls and risk of ruin in those three years? Maybe you have been reading the wrong books. Try reading BJA and the section on Trip Bankroll in the Risk of Ruin chapter. Norm has lots of free calculators on his site that answer the questions you ask. Did you really think you can play blackjack and not "expect to lose a little"?

I wouldn't think to advise you whether you should play or not. Its your money and only you know what it would mean to lose all or part of it but you should know the risk you are entering into and then you can decide. There are lots of tools. BJRM, CVCX, BJA III etc.