Thread: Victor Francis: 2 Authors?

Victor Francis

Victor Francis: 2 Authors?

What is the consensus of these 2 authors on blackjack:

Richard Harvey - A friend gave me one of his books and I want to see if it is worth reading

John May - just curious more than anything

I'm not looking for a beginner book and should probably change my email to bj_sort_of_intermediate. I was just curious about these 2 authors.

Thanks!

Parker

Parker: Re: 2 Authors?

> What is the consensus of these 2 authors on blackjack:

> Richard Harvey - A friend gave me one of his books and
    > I want to see if it is worth reading

Short answer: No.

Not only are his ideas mathematically unsound, many of them are blatantly copied from John Patrick. A terrible thing to do to a tree.

> John May - just curious more than anything

I liked May's book. He has some interesting ideas, although he tends to be short on specifics. Much of the material in the book can be found on his "Green Baize Vampire" website.

> I'm not looking for a beginner book and should
    > probably change my email to bj_sort_of_intermediate. I
    > was just curious about these 2 authors.

May's book is not really a beginner's book. It assumes that the reader has some familiarity with card counting, although the first few chapters include a summary of basic strategy and counting techniques.

ES

ES: 3 to Avoid

1. John Scarne - Incorrect Basic Strategy

2. John Patrick - Incorrect Basic Strategy

3. Jerry Paterson - Pushes "Target," a card clumping-based basic strategy

This list is NOT exhaustive!

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: 2 Authors?

> Richard Harvey -

Give it back before you are tempted to read it.

> John May -

I found a new copy of his book at a used bookstore for little or nothing and took it home. Like Parker, I found it interesting to read but a little light on specifics. However, everone is different and you never know where you'll find that one small concept that turns the next light bulb on.

To that end, I would not discourage anyone from reading Patterson. No, I don't recommend TARGET, card clumping, etc. but I've found stuff in this book that was enlightening also. Would I go pay retail for it? No. I picked it up the same day at the same used bookstore .. $0.50; a bargain.

(Yes Don, I understand I got screwed over on that one, but hey, I had the four bits!)

Brick

Brick: The problem with many authors

is they do NOT practice what they preach and base there assumptions on theorectical values and conditions in which they may have little or no experience in the real world,some are voodoo-istic,some are not. In other words, you can buy a good BJ book that has little value. The best books in the world are written by the BJ veterans who have been there,done that.

CAPT XII

CAPT XII: Re: The problem with many authors

> Well put Brick; and quite accurate. No one knows all.

is they do NOT practice what they preach and base
    > there assumptions on theorectical values and
    > conditions in which they may have little or no
    > experience in the real world,some are
    > voodoo-istic,some are not. In other words, you can buy
    > a good BJ book that has little value. The best books
    > in the world are written by the BJ veterans who have
    > been there,done that.