Thread: yokspot: probability of various levels of SD

yokspot

yokspot: probability of various levels of SD

Sorry if this is not the best forum for this non-BJ specific question, but I'm not sure where best to put it amongst the free pages:

Can I find a probability-level chart for standard deviations from, say 1 through to 7 or so, in 0.1 increments? For example, I want to know the exact probaility of 3.4 SDs. I know that 3 is about a one in 400-ish shot, but I want a precise figure for that precise SD level.

The reason is to be able to precisely calculate the probability of given BJ sessions based on the SD - eg: I play 100 hands, losing 25 units, which equates to 2.13 SDs (using 1.15); I want to calculate the precise average hand number required to throw up one such event; 2.13 SDs is approximately a 1 in 20 shot, so an average sample of 20 + 100 - 1 = 119 hands should throw up one such event at some point - but I need the probabilities at all levels of SD to do this accurately. I've heard that BJ Attack and other such books contain this information, but I'm damned if I can find it.

Thanks.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: probability of various levels of SD

> I've heard that BJ
    > Attack and other such books contain this
    > information, but I'm damned if I can find
    > it.

Try pp. 147-48 of BJA3. If you need more than plus or minus 3 s.d.s, I'm sure you can Google up "cumulative normal probability distribution" and find dozens of such charts.

Don