Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: creatureman: Where to start 2d or 6d

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Re: Play the Shoe

I'm probably misusing the word as to how it relates to my point. Remember, I'm the publisher of BJA, not the author. But here's an illustration:

Go into BJRM and select Hi-Lo, H17DAS for all sims. Then run 2 decks w/ 70 of 104 cards, and then 6 decks w/ 4.5/6 decks. In both cases click "Calc Optimum Bets." Look at the numbers, and then calculate the trip stats and look at the numbers. My selection of rules and pen is somewhat arbitrary.

SD/hand SD/100 Win/hand (units) Trip ROR
    2D $75 $751 2.81 21.11%
    6D $35 $349 1.68 3.91%

Same overall ROR (13%), but drastically different trip ROR. You make more money in 2D, but you have a wilder ride that can screw you in the short term.

You can tweak the pen and rules and the differences will get milder or greater, but in general your swings will be larger in 2D which can lead to quick ruin for a beginning player unless they are thoroughly prepared. Further, 6 deck tends to have much smoother count/bet transitions, which are much easier for beginners to deal with, easier to hide from the pit. 6 deck is simply a more serene game.

I'm sure Don will jump in and give me the slap down if need be. I make things look pretty. That's my job.

Good Cards,

V

Parker

Parker: Swings

> Variance is smaller in shoe games? I thought
    > that with the greater bet spread required,
    > variance was greater in the shoe games?
    > Thanks for any clearification you can
    > give...

Variance isn't exactly the right word. However, the reason for this apparent contradiction is simple.

In a typical double deck session, you will see more high counts than in a shoe game. Hence, your average bet will be higher.

Higher average bet usually translates into bigger swings, one way or the other.

This is even more true with the single deck game. Trust me on this one. :-)

Advantageray

Advantageray: Re: Swings

> This is even more true with the single deck
    > game. Trust me on this one. :-)

Oh I trust both of you more then I do myself..
    You guys have been at it much longer then I have, Im still trying to cement the foundation for some of the subtleties of the game...
    I definitely need to spend a good weekend in front of the PC with CVCX/CVdata...

Thanks Victor and Parker...as always, appreciate the response...

D

methodman

methodman: perhaps 4dk. *NM*

Fuzzy Math

Fuzzy Math: Re: One other thing

> However, quite often they are not. Here in
    > San Diego, for example, it is difficult to
    > find a double deck game under $25 min,
    > expecially on weekends. However, playable
    > (and sometimes even quite good) $5 shoes are
    > all over.

> Furthermore, in some parts of the country,
    > the choice is between 6D shoes and saving
    > your money toward a Las Vegas trip.

Presumably the question would not have been brought forth if he didn't have access to doubledeck games in his price range. ;P

creatureman

creatureman: Re: One other thing

> Presumably the question would not have been
    > brought forth if he didn't have access to
    > doubledeck games in his price range. ;P

Thanx guys for your comments, good stuff well im in the military so i would need a red DD game, im not moved to Nellis yet so all i have to play is a crappy indian 6 deck here in new mexico, no DD by me till i move, i guess ill keep practiceing and use the indians as training for vegas when i move there , thanx

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Check your email

I sent you some info about a New Mexico red DD game.

SR

Aruuba

Aruuba: Re: Where to start 2d or 6d

I have played single
    > and double deck games almost exclusively
    > since I first learned to count cards.

> But if I had it all to do over . . . :-)

Where would I find 2D index numbers for Hi-Lo?

Am I better off using the 1D or 4D index numbers as given in Wong's PB for a 2D game?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Where to start 2d or 6d

> Where would I find 2D index numbers for
    > Hi-Lo?

P. 213 of BJA3, for the I18, at least.

> Am I better off using the 1D or 4D index
    > numbers as given in Wong's PB for a 2D game?

Four deck.

Don

Aruuba

Aruuba: Re: Where to start 2d or 6d

> P. 213 of BJA3, for the I18, at least.

Thanks Don - I just happen to have a signed copy!

I learned Hi-Lo from the 1994 Edition of PB wherein the index numbers are truncated rather than floored. I guess that's why maybe certain index numbers differ from what I learned. Like 9 vs 7 is +3 in PB. Of course that's for 4 decks so maybe that is why it is different than the number in your 6-8 deck column.

Anyway, I'll use it for comparative purposes - only a few numbers change anyway.

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: Re: become a *master* of the DD

Samurai counter...Anybody watch Yoshi on Samurai Sportsman the "master" of the outdoors.

Ouchez

Ouchez: Yoshi would be a great BJ "DD Master". :) *NM*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12