Thread: torquecnvrtr: Lawrence Revere

torquecnvrtr

torquecnvrtr: Lawrence Revere

Just curious if "Playing Blackjack as a Business" by Lawrence Revere is worth reading. I'm a beginner looking for a place to start...I have started reading this book, understand it, but am unsure if i'm starting a good foundation here? What other book is a good beginner book?

Parker

Parker: Re: Lawrence Revere

> Just curious if "Playing Blackjack as a
    > Business" by Lawrence Revere is worth
    > reading. I'm a beginner looking for a place
    > to start...I have started reading this book,
    > understand it, but am unsure if i'm starting
    > a good foundation here? What other book is a
    > good beginner book?

Revere's book is a classic, and deserves a place in the library of anyone serious about blackjack and advantage play. However, it is badly dated.

Revere's win rates were overly optimistic, even for the deeply dealt single deck games that were common in that era (and all but nonexistant today). His bankroll suggestions are also much too low. Julian Braun's 60's era IBM mainframe is no match for a modern PC running a good simulation program such as CVData.

Revere also devotes most of a chapter to blasting Lance Humble, a former student of his whose only crime was to write a book of his own and develop some card counting systems that were better than Revere's.

Revere's writing style ("I am right, and anyone who disagrees with me is a liar, an idiot, or most likely both.") is unique, to say the least, and makes for an entertaining read.

A much newer and better book for the beginner would be Blackjack Bluebook II by Fred Renzey. Also recommended is Professional Blackjack, by Stanford Wong. It is also starting to show it's age a bit, but is still much more current than Revere's book. Both of these books are available from our Online Catalog (link at top of page).

bigplayer

bigplayer: it is not a good book

for a beginner. It is outdated and incorrect in many of its assumptions. It's color basic strategy charts are nice however.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Have to agree

and I've played BJ with him in his kitchen. A lot of classics need updating at this point.

> for a beginner. It is outdated and incorrect
    > in many of its assumptions. It's color basic
    > strategy charts are nice however.

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: speaking of books

I recently picked up a copy of "Blackjack a Professional Reference" by Micheal Dalton....I think this is an amazing book for beginers....it doesn't teach you how to count instead it is like a encyclopedia of most of the blackjack terminology (which beginers always have questions about) and also provides reviews on several books and count systems....truly a must read...Also Rick "Night Train" Blanie's book is a good training manual for people just learning how to count....I also have read Blackjack Bluebooks 1 and 2 and these are good books for beginers as well.....just my 2 cents.....SM

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: speaking of books

> I recently picked up a copy of
    > "Blackjack a Professional
    > Reference" by Micheal Dalton....I think
    > this is an amazing book for beginers....it
    > doesn't teach you how to count instead it is
    > like a encyclopedia of most of the blackjack
    > terminology (which beginers always have
    > questions about) and also provides reviews
    > on several books and count systems....truly
    > a must read...

I agree with you. Unfortunately, this is a book (do you have the large, red 3rd edition?) that very few players have, and it's a shame. It provides a marvelous historical perspective on the game, and it is chock full of information. Sadly, I believe it must be out of print.

> Also Rick "Night
    > Train" Blanie's book is a good training
    > manual for people just learning how to
    > count....I also have read Blackjack
    > Bluebooks 1 and 2 and these are good books
    > for beginers as well.....just my 2
    > cents.....SM

I find your two cents very valuable, and your comments right on the mark.

Don

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: Ya

I recently recieved a copy of the big red 3rd edition. I just finished reading it all this morning. It is out of print...Mine actually came from a used book store in New Zealand... AM

> I agree with you. Unfortunately, this is a
    > book (do you have the large, red 3rd
    > edition?) that very few players have, and
    > it's a shame. It provides a marvelous
    > historical perspective on the game, and it
    > is chock full of information. Sadly, I
    > believe it must be out of print.

> I find your two cents very valuable, and
    > your comments right on the mark.

> Don

Scott

Scott: Re: Lawrence Revere

> Just curious if "Playing Blackjack as a
    > Business" by Lawrence Revere is worth
    > reading. I'm a beginner looking for a place
    > to start...I have started reading this book,
    > understand it, but am unsure if i'm starting
    > a good foundation here? What other book is a
    > good beginner book?

Revere's book should be in every player's library I've found it's good to start reading where the art began and then progress forward, it will give you a greater respect and understanding for the game.

Stay clear of Jerry Patterson's book (my opinon)

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Lawrence Revere

> Revere's book should be in every player's
    > library I've found it's good to start
    > reading where the art began and then
    > progress forward ...

... agree, but do keep progressing forward and don't commit much if anything in Revere's book to memory other than who he is, where he came from, and his place in the history.