> So when one has a high positive count, he
> doesn't have a greater probability of
> winning? It's still the .42 win, .49 lose,
> & .09 push regardless of a high positive
> count?

Seconding the question: How exactly does the advantage play out? Which text explains this the best, with examples? My empirical experience(no sims) on the tables has been maddeningly packed with pushed 20s, pushed bjs, and busted stiffs at high counts. Perhaps I should just buy some simulator software. Which ones are Mac-friendly?
In addition, my girlfriend is also a fledgling AP, but is unwilling to tolerate the same variance as I am, and so only spreads 4-1 at most, and she has an uncannily winning record. I'm ahead more dollars (but I play a bigger unit) but as far as percentage increase in bankroll over our 50-ish hours of real AP play on the tables, she's way ahead of me. Is this just "luck"? The SD falling in her favor?
game specs:
both: High-low, using illustrious 18+fab 4 indices, plus whichever others I can remember (about 30 indices total for me, her pretty much just illustrious 18)
either 1D H17 no DAS nsr 50-65% pen (her: 1-3 me 1-4)
and
her only: 6D H17 DAS DOA RSA lsr 60-75% pen play-all spread 1-3
me only: 6D S17 DOA DAS RSA lsr 65-75% pen backcounting or play-all sitting out TC ?1, spreading 1-8.
over the last 20-ish sessions she's doubled her 100$ buy-in usually at least 3 out of 5 times, the other she loses most or all of it and walks.
It is difficult to argue with her concrete dollar successes. Again, perhaps I should just get some software.
Thank you all so much for your time when I post. It is so gratifying to effectively have a community of elders to look to for guidance in this trying new adventure of mine.