I'm relatively new to blackjack, playing BASIC strategy only. I'm more of a low to mid level poker player, however recently I was asked to play some poker and blackjack at a home game with some execs. Anyway, it is customary for someone to grab the deck and become the "house" and deal several hours of blackjack.

Here's the good part. It's single deck, dealt all the way (or very close to it), 3 or 4 players, DAS, DOA, resplit aces, dealer stands on all 17's. Also the betting is a $2 - $40 spread. I quickly started practicing the Red 7 count, but had some questions on betting and bankroll. Going from $2 to $40 the next hand doesn't bother the person being the house, however if I have a $1,000 bankroll what betting increments should I be employing? $2 on negative counts but then what should I jump to when there is a positive count. Snyder recommends 0 = 2 units, +2 = 4 units, +4 = 6 units, etc. What is "safe" (on my bankroll) to bet in this situation? Sorry if this is a novice question, I just happen to be a novice player at the moment.

Any other comments and/or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
J.