Thread: Larry Dafern: Knock Out Blackjack Question

Larry Dafern

Larry Dafern: Knock Out Blackjack Question

I'm learning but confused over the Knock-Out system IRC of 0 and key count of +2 for a one deck game. Everytime I start with 0 and assign a +1 to 2-7, 0 to 8-9 and -1 to 10,J,Q,K & A as taught, at +2, +3 and even +4, there are more small cards than 10/A's in deck. My count is accurate I always end with a +4 as per the book. I thought the "key count" (+2) was where there were more 10/A's than small cards. Someone tell me where I'm screwing up. Thanks.

Loco

Loco: KO is an unbalanced count

When you start your count, in single deck, you will have 24 low cards (2-7) and 20 high cards (X and A). The number of high and low cards does not become equal until you reach your pivot (+4). With a balanced count, the number of high and low cards will be equal off the top of the deck.

bond trader

bond trader: The Key Count

is the level at which you (on average, depending on pen/rules) first have the advantage over the house.

BT

RayMetz100

RayMetz100: KO - Key vs. Pivot

I just read the KO book last weekend, so this is just my opinion based on my my very limited knowledge. I was also reading it from the 6 deck point of view.

The key count is when you first get an advantage over the house. Because you're paid 3/2 on BJ, and the house isn't, and you can stand on bust hands, this may happen a little before the high/low card ratio is even. When you hit the key count, you may raise your bets, but your playing decisions are the same.

The pivot point is when you know that there are more high cards than low cards remaining. That's when you change your playing decisions.

The KO book states that properly raising your bets has more of an effect on your advantage than modifying your playing decisions from the basic strategy after the pivot point.

Also, if you primarily play single-deck games, the KO system may not be as efficient as some of the others. I don't know if that's true technically, but that's the general jist I've felt from the boards.

Ray

> I'm learning but confused over the Knock-Out
    > system IRC of 0 and key count of +2 for a
    > one deck game. Everytime I start with 0 and
    > assign a +1 to 2-7, 0 to 8-9 and -1 to
    > 10,J,Q,K & A as taught, at +2, +3 and
    > even +4, there are more small cards than
    > 10/A's in deck. My count is accurate I
    > always end with a +4 as per the book. I
    > thought the "key count" (+2) was
    > where there were more 10/A's than small
    > cards. Someone tell me where I'm screwing