See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Deviations Question

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Deviations Question

Howdy folks. I had a question. I've been looking into deviations and it seems to me that either the deviations have to be wrong or the BS has to be wrong or I'm misunderstanding what it's saying. For example:

16 v 10 BS says to hit. But deviations say that if you're at a true count of 0 or more you stand.

Wouldn't that mean basic strategy should tell you to stand on a 16 v 10 and then deviate by hitting if you're at -1 or less?

Several other examples:
    12 v 4 BS says hit but deviations says stand at 0+. Shouldn't BS say stand and deviations say hit if you're at -1 or less?

11 v A BS says to double down. Deviations say to only double down if you're at a +1 or -1 otherwise hit. So shouldn't BS be to hit?

Just trying to understand. Basically I should be playing those "deviations" as if they were basic strategy right?
    Last edited by Immortal; 05-14-2024 at 04:17 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Basic strategy is basic strategy and has nothing to do with a true count of 0.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Okay then look at it from the other side. If you're counting cards theoretically you're supposed to play basic strategy at a true 0 correct?

So do you double an 11 on an A at +0 or do you hit? Do you hit the 16 on a 10 or stand at +0?

Or is that incorrect and you're supposed to be playing the deviations and not basic strategy if you're counting?

Pretty sure you answered my question tho. So if I don't know the count I should always play BS. If I know the count, then I'm better off statistically playing the deviations

No, you can't mix the two. If you are playing basic strategy you are just playing that. If you are using indices for a counting system you follow the index for your hand and the dealer upcard
    Chance favors the prepared mind

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Repeat: BS has nothing to do with the count of zero. Get that idea out of your head. As for the deviations, always think of them this way, and DON'T add BS into the mix: If the TC >= the index, insure, surrender split, double, or stand. Period. DON'T overthink it.

Don