Thread: stainless steel rat: question for norm (or any CVBJ user)

stainless steel rat

stainless steel rat: question for norm (or any CVBJ user)

I have tried, but been unsuccessful, in adjusting the game to play a DD type setup where I can count and either choose 1/4 deck or 1/2 deck resolution.

On the TC/sounds options page, I can set the last deck resolution to 1 or 1/2 or 1/4 which is fine. But I can't find a way to do the entire two decks at 1/2 or 1/4 deck resolution.

One mistake I made early on is to try the other option, which is the TC resolution, and when I set it to 1/2, "cassie" gave me hell for about 15 minutes until I figured out that "My TC" and "Cassie's TC" were not the same animal, and that setting that to 1/2 apparently means that I am keeping the TC as in RC / (no of 1/2 decks) which means it would generally be 2x what I normally use. That would be OK probably, but then I have to adjust all the indices in my head.

The question is, can I make the thing use (say) 1/2 deck resolution for the entire pack of cards, or can I only control this for the last remaining deck in the pack?

BTW, is it possible to _completely_ silence the vocal stuff? It seems to have a negative impact in that while something is being spoken, the rest of the game seems to sort of "freeze" and clicking a button during that "freeze" causes odd things to happen (this on a 750mhz sony VAIO so it isn't a fast box). I have the "no voice explanations" checked but Cassie still chimes in with "you should have bet 2," or "stand was the correct play" or whatever... And while I don't mind the audio, the "freezes" I could do without while the audio is being played...

Thanks for any suggestions...

SSR

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: question for norm (or any CVBJ user)

> On the TC/sounds options page, I can set the
    > last deck resolution to 1 or 1/2 or 1/4
    > which is fine. But I can't find a way to do
    > the entire two decks at 1/2 or 1/4 deck
    > resolution.

> One mistake I made early on is to try the
    > other option, which is the TC resolution,
    > and when I set it to 1/2, "cassie"
    > gave me hell for about 15 minutes until I
    > figured out that "My TC" and
    > "Cassie's TC" were not the same
    > animal, and that setting that to 1/2
    > apparently means that I am keeping the TC as
    > in RC / (no of 1/2 decks) which means it
    > would generally be 2x what I normally use.
    > That would be OK probably, but then I have
    > to adjust all the indices in my head.

No, you set it correctly. The TC divisor is set by the strategy itself. TC Resolution means what you thought it means. When you get nagged, hit the ? in the lower left. It will bring up a screen and allow you to fiddle with all the settings to see how they affect the decision. If you can't get it the way you want, you can send me all the options and the info in the TRAY pop-up and I can show you the exact calculatoins made. Come to think of it - gives me a great idea for a new aide.

> BTW, is it possible to _completely_ silence
    > the vocal stuff?

Hmm. Not without turning Cassie off. I'll add an option.

stainless steel rat

stainless steel rat: Re: question for norm (or any CVBJ user)

> No, you set it correctly. The TC divisor is
    > set by the strategy itself. TC Resolution
    > means what you thought it means. When you
    > get nagged, hit the ? in the lower left. It
    > will bring up a screen and allow you to
    > fiddle with all the settings to see how they
    > affect the decision. If you can't get it the
    > way you want, you can send me all the
    > options and the info in the TRAY pop-up and
    > I can show you the exact calculatoins made.
    > Come to think of it - gives me a great idea
    > for a new aide.

> Hmm. Not without turning Cassie off. I'll
    > add an option.

If I "turn cassie off" will that silence her?

And my wife wants to know what happens if I "turn cassie on"?

(when she saw me typing the first line, she asked "who the hell is Cassie?"

But back to the real point. If I set the TC resolution to 1/2 deck, then you are saying that the TC will still be kept at whole-deck type numbers, but with the deck estimation set to the more accurate 1/2 deck resolution? I'll try that again, but when I did it before, somehow I and cassie were using different math for the TC from RC conversion.

More on this after I try it tonight.

Thanks as always..

BTW, one oddity I notice on my laptop. Sometimes I will make the wrong play when the TC is _right_ at the threshold. IE say hit vs stand. Index says stand (say) at zero, and the TC is either zero or -1. I occasionally say stand, and get "close call, but hit was the correct play". Since I have the "play correction" option set, I now hit "hit" and I get "close call, but stand was the correct play."

Really thought my wife was inside this box at that point. Ever seen that? I did click the ? and the index was set correctly, and which I displayed the TC, it was exactly what I had computed, it was just "on the edge". IE is -.5 -1 or 0? I think I have it set to "round". And in such a case, seems that I can't make the right play period.

The reason I am interested in dumping the voice is that I occasionally see this:

I make the wrong play, and get nagged, but the instant I make the wrong play I realize it and I hit the right button immediately. Nothing happens. I might even get _another_ nag. But if I do this, from time to time, after the cards are cleared off the table, that "hit" I pressed now works, and a single card flies off the deck and lands on the table and stays there for the next hand although it does not figure in to anyone's hand yet does affect the RC. This only happens if I do something while the audio (speech) is playing. The pop-up warning is good enough for me and if dumping cassie will get rid of this (may be my laptop sound chip is el-cheapo and ties up things too much while it is playing the sound file) then I'm willing to give up the spoken warnings to avoid replacing my favorite (light) laptop.

Thanks as always...

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: question for norm (or any CVBJ user)

> If I "turn cassie off" will that
    > silence her?

Yep.

> And my wife wants to know what happens if I
    > "turn cassie on"?

Not gonna touch that.

> But back to the real point....

E-mail me the details. There exist many mouse/pointer driver differences that are a royal pain. Most can be cured by downloading the latest driver. but, I'm still interested in details as I try to get around all the weirdities.

stainless steel rat

stainless steel rat: Re: question for norm (or any CVBJ user)

> Yep.

> Not gonna touch that.

> E-mail me the details. There exist many
    > mouse/pointer driver differences that are a
    > royal pain. Most can be cured by downloading
    > the latest driver. but, I'm still interested
    > in details as I try to get around all the
    > weirdities.

OK. I adjusted the TC resolution to 1/2 deck and all worked perfectly. I now believe that my previous problem was tied up in the round/truncate/floor options. Particularly when you have to estimate the remaining decks and can round/etc there, and then do the division (or multiplication) and have to round/etc there...

I tried rounding on deck estimation, and truncating the true count after the division, and played a couple of hours without an error, so this seems to have been a "user error" of some sort...

thanks...

I will try to carefully observe the mouse problem and write down precise symptions and actions that caused them... and email them to you...