Thread: matchplay blackjack

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

matchplay blackjack

Ok, I have been playing through a fistful of low limit ($10) matchplays at one vegas store this month. (so much so that I am sure I am beginning to annoy them...lol) I have hit blackjack 2 times in recent days and was paid $25. ($15 for my $10 wager and extra $10 for the matchplay) This is so wrong! How did we ever start letting them get away with this. Match is the name of the damn coupon, for god sakes. They are suppose to match your bet, making a $10 wager... a $20 wager and you should be paid accordingly... $30 win for a blackjack. I argued both times but of course no one is listening.

I guess I can't complain too much though as earlier this month while playing a $10 MP, I hit a double down situation. Some places let you only double such a situation for an extra $10 while others let you double for $20. Since the pit guy was standing right next to me, I asked him. He responded with “whatever you want”, so I pulled out 2 black chips from my pocket and doubled. He said, “I meant $10 or $20”, to which the lady next to me stated, well, that's not what you said. (what a nice lady...) So the pit guy gave an ok, go ahead. I won that double as the dealer broke, so as I said, even with the cheap blackjack payouts I am doing pretty well with these MP's.

Banned or Suspended

No, they don't seem to care very much. These are MP's that were mailed to every resident in Vegas. There are a ton of folks using and abusing these coupons. lol If you play 20 minutes at a table, you will see 3 different players use them. The only thing they seem to care about is using more than one per session.

But what do you think about this $25 payout for a $10 MP BJ??
    Last edited by KJ; 03-19-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post

I guess I can't complain too much though as earlier this month while playing a $10 MP, I hit a double down situation. Some places let you only double such a situation for an extra $10 while others let you double for $20. Since the pit guy was standing right next to me, I asked him. He responded with “whatever you want”, so I pulled out 2 black chips from my pocket and doubled. He said, “I meant $10 or $20”, to which the lady next to me stated, well, that's not what you said. (what a nice lady...) So the pit guy gave an ok, go ahead. I won that double as the dealer broke, so as I said, even with the cheap blackjack payouts I am doing pretty well with these MP's.
    This is awesome, haha. I'll have to try that next time I get a coupon, that presents some really juicy opportunities

Match Play coupons state they pay even money or 1-1. Blackjacks pay 1-1 on the coupon, which wipes out the advantage of the blackjack payout. We are better off placing the coupon on the Pass Line at craps for a better return.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    But what do you think about this $25 payout for a $10 MP BJ??
    It seems to be common practice (or at least becoming), as the same thing has happened to me recently, in two stores back East. They will pay the original wager at 3:2 but the MP at face value. I too argued, but to no avail. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I use them more on craps or baccarat now just in case. I went up to as high as pit boss and floorman *****ing but to no avail.
    Since we both go to the same joint(s), I agree, the devaluation of the MP's have dramatically changed the strategy needed to play them. In one particular store, they even limit your use of the MP on craps to the Pass Line only bets, and not the favored Don't Pass.

I've begun using them primarily on the Banker side at Mini-Bacc, as it's better for multiple reasons including not drawing additional attention to yourself at the blackjack table and HOPEFULLY not counting down the shoe and waiting for that "juicy" count to use the coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by AP360 View Post
    Since we both go to the same joint(s), I agree, the devaluation of the MP's have dramatically changed the strategy needed to play them. In one particular store, they even limit your use of the MP on craps to the Pass Line only bets, and not the favored Don't Pass.
    This is incorrect. When playing a MP the pass line is a better bet than the don't (assuming it's an even money MP).

$10 MP on Pass line = $4.79 EV

$10 MP on Don't pass = $4.66 EV

http://www.beyondcounting.com/pdfs/b...ouponsbjfo.pdf

New math? When was this invented?
    "The men who succeed are the efficient few who have the ambition and willpower to develop themselves." ---Herbert Casson

It's not purely about the bet's EV, the variance needs to be considered.