See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New deck at cut

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Sorry, there's nothing to discuss. Have been using this extremely accurate streak calculator since forever.

https://sites.google.com/view/krapstuff/home

Don

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Sorry, there's nothing to discuss. Have been using this extremely accurate streak calculator since forever.

https://sites.google.com/view/krapstuff/home

Don
    Sure I am, a great probability book is on one of the shelves of your impressive library. You guessed it, I am referring to Warren Weaver’s “Lady Luck”. It has a section dedicated to streaks. The formulas are easy to understand and to program into software.

I think you overlooked one important aspect. Lets say coin toss, 5-heads in a row. The pattern must be exactly THHHHHT when you calculate how many 5-head streaks in a number of trials. HTTTTTH for 5-tail streaks. Thats why 20-hand losing streaks are so frequent in your calculations.
    “Probability of 20-hand losing streak in 7,000 trials: 0.001529230036319.”
    1 in 654. NO way, Jose! You wont get one such a streak in 10,000 uninterrupted hands!

I do use a different program for calculations. It is based on Warren Weaver’s book. I am not at liberty to reveal the software. It might even be forbidden to name the program here. I will publish only a report for coin tossing and 1000 trials. You can see all the streaks and how many times they occur. You can try for yourself. Toss a good coin (no counterfeit allowed!) 1000 times. Just jot down the outcomes: T, H. You’ll see the results come close to the theory. Repeating 1000-toss runs will get closer to theory.

Code:
                         Probability p = .5
                         Number of Trials N = 1000

=============================================================================
      Streak Lengths       1     2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9   10  TOTAL
      Winning Streaks W   125   62   31   16    8    4    2    1    0    0   492
     -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Losing Streaks  L   125   62   31   16    8    4    2    1    0    0   492

Uncounted Elements: 16 ; Distributed as: Win = 8 / Loss = 8 (possible one streak was longer than 8 on either side of the coin.
    Great book, Warren Weaver’s “Lady Luck”! No offence, just my honest opinion.