Thread: Testing surrender table with CVBJ flashcards?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Testing surrender table with CVBJ flashcards?

I'm a blackjack novice. I'm having issues trying to test myself on the surrender table using CVBJ's Flashcard feature.

Under Global Options > Strategies, I have "Composite Basic Strategy" selected.

In the "Flash Card Drills: Basic Strategy" window, I first tried the following selections:

Hands: [X] Default Hands
    Situations: [X] Surrender (and no other situations selected)

When I clicked Launch, though, it said: "There are no situations selected. Try changing the Situations or Hands option."

I tried changing Hands from "Default Hands" to "Illustrious 18", but when I clicked Launch again, I got the same error.

Then, under Hands, I selected "Mask" and a window titled "Basic Strategy" appeared up with tabs for six different situations. Under the Surrender tab in that window I clicked on every cell. The result was that all 100 cells in the Surrender tab were green, except for the three cells 16 vs 9/X/A, which were red. I reviewed the other tabs and all of their cells were grey (un-selected). Finally, I clicked Exit in that window, and clicked Launch in the "BlackJack Testing Machine" window. This produced some flashcards, but I still have a question:

The first situation it tested me on was dealer 7 vs my 88. There were three buttons under the cards: Surrender, Hit, and Stand. I didn't click anything and, after the timer expired, I got an error saying that the suggested action was Hit. This confused me, because according to https://www.qfit.com/Book/ModernBlackjackPage62.htm (emphasis added):

Flashcard Drills – Playing Decisions

To test your knowledge of Basic Strategy, select Default Hands at the upper left. This will test you on the important hands. At the bottom left, you will see the Situations box. Flashcards will be displayed to test for all of the situations that you set. This is used in two ways. First, only flashcards that are relevant to the selected situations will be shown. Secondly, responses are valid only for the selected situations. For example, if you tell CV not to show flash cards for splits, then split is not a valid response. Even the obvious player 8,8 against dealer 5 is stand instead of split if you do not select the split situation. Using these options, you can start by testing yourself on one table at a time.
    The built-in help has essentially identical text. Given that "responses are valid only for the selected situations", I thought I was only going to be tested on the Surrender table. Can anyone point out what I am misunderstanding and/or doing wrong?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Another question:

Then, under Hands, I selected "Mask" and a window titled "Basic Strategy" appeared up with tabs for six different situations. Under the Surrender tab in that window I clicked on every cell. The result was that all 100 cells in the Surrender tab were green, except for the three cells 16 vs 9/X/A, which were red.
    Why wasn't 15 vs X red in that table? It is red in the Surrender table of the Composite Basic Strategy at https://www.qfit.com/Book/ModernBlackjackPage57.htm .
    Last edited by khaaan; 03-19-2024 at 12:19 PM. Reason: remove extra blank line