Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
Had a bad experience with an advisor too.. 2008 was my introduction to the stock market. Had some stuff invested in more volatile things and when it started to crash I told him to move it. He didn't. Told him to move it again. He didn't. Eventually figured out how to move it myself. Got a nasty phone call from him. Apparently he got money off of me having it invested there. Lost a lot more dealing with him than if I never bothered in the first place.

Sent from Tapatalk
Don't let this color you on the market. That was the beginning of one of the worst bloodbath's in history. But if you left your money in good mutual funds or ETF you would have recovered more than from what you initially invested. As Norm said in prior post, investing in the stock market is gambling. At least if you are trying to time the market. It's better to invest and leave it in there for at least 5 years (with money you can afford) than to worry about it on a daily basis like your BJ bankroll. I would NOT have any of my playing bankroll in the market for investment purposes. I think the suggestions of money markets or quick access bonds would make a lot more sense IF it was something you didn't need your hands on "immediately". To me you are mixing apples and oranges to liken your BJ bankroll to investment money. They should NOT be the same type of "cash".