See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Hi_Lo good enough!!?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Is Hi_Lo good enough!!?

I always hear about other count talk about in this forum. For 8 deck games, will Hi_Lo get the money??! Is it good enough? I see the correlation betting is only .968 and Pe is .51! I believe that is very bad. Please let me know! Thank YOU

Hilo, along with Wonging, is good for 8 deck games. It's the "industry standard" count, the one used by most Blackjack teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
    I always hear about other count talk about in this forum. For 8 deck games, will Hi_Lo get the money??! Is it good enough? I see the correlation betting is only .968 and Pe is .51! I believe that is very bad. Please let me know! Thank YOU
    I saw that PE and thought that's low too. I also have been thinking about learning a Level II count; Omega II. I mean what's the difference between adding or subtracting 1 and as opposed to just subtracting a 1?
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

I would read Professional Blackjack, Blackjack Attack III, and Norms free book on this site before going any further. The Card Counting System you select must be one that you can master without making any mistakes.

Hi Lo is the industry standard. This is nothing wrong with it. If you switch to Advanced Omega 2 beware that you have to keep a sidecount of Aces.

Quote Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
    Hi Lo is the industry standard. This is nothing wrong with it. If you switch to Advanced Omega 2 beware that you have to keep a sidecount of Aces.
    Will hi lo make me good money!?

The question that you should be asking yourself is "what is the most advanced count that I can handle flawlessly?" Have you asked yourself that question?

I use Hi-Lo and have considered switching to Zen. I don't do the "hit-and-run" technique like others here do which means that I stick around longer. I wouldn't currently be able to handle Zen with longer playing times as I am much more likely to make errors. I want that extra little % advantage but mistakes are unacceptable. Therefore, i'm sticking with Hi-Lo for now.

What are you capable of doing? Figure that out and do it. Hi-Lo gets you the money, but you have to have the patience to let it play out. A perfect application of your counting method is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more important than the method used.

It's usually said that for shoe games BC is more important and for SD and DD PE is more important. So if you play 8D, then you shouldn't worry that much about poor PE. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've also heard that betting strategy accounts for most of your EV in any case (maybe this mostly applies to shoe games, let me know).

Also, though 0.51 doesn't sound like much, I think the theoretical limit for PE on a count is 0.7. However, through side counts, and other techniques, I believe there's quite a number of people on this forum who have achieved higher than 0.7 PE.

it is not about is Hi lo good enough for you . It is about is the game and condition good enough? Is your bankroll and your game good enough? Are you good enough? The heat ,the variance will test your limits . How prepared are you to take the lost for full year of play ? Maybe even 2 years of play? Kj just had a bad lost and post about it and he has been doing it for 12 years. It certainly hurt him emotionally. So what do you think of your preparedness? It just scares me to think about it with my little bankroll . i just play my little game in my small world.

Like any "Hobby" forum or otherwise, there's always going to be talk about higher efficiency "stuff". Any one of us on this forum could tell you the best count in the world at this given second is X or Y, but that doesn't mean we ourselves could master it. It doesn't mean that said count is suitable for our games.

What is important here is matching your mental capacity, to your game, and finding a count that you can apply to that game, with the highest efficiency possible. You could go HiOpt/Omega/Zen/Tarzan and have a slightly better shot at making more money, but if you yourself can't handle the count, bet schedules, and tracking accurately enough, those counts might actually cost you more money than you'd make on a simple count like Hi/Lo.

To answer your question of "can I make money using Hi/Lo", the simple answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke8 View Post
    I would read Professional Blackjack, Blackjack Attack III, and Norms free book on this site before going any further. The Card Counting System you select must be one that you can master without making any mistakes.
    Bingo.

"Good Money" is a byproduct of your ability to play, the heat that you're generating, and the denomination you are betting. I can pretty much go anywhere in the continental united states and play "my game" using Hi/Lo for $20/hr at the red chip level and do it relatively heat free and work as many hours as I'd like. To some people that is "Good Money", to others that is too much of a "grind" and they'd rather risk lower hands seen at higher denominations and higher heat levels to generate something like $50-150/hr. Its all about YOUR game and how you like to play, first and foremost, and count second.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    ...I can pretty much go anywhere in the continental united states and play "my game" using Hi/Lo for $20/hr at the red chip level and do it relatively heat free and work as many hours as I'd like...
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    ...so I make sure that my dealer's time is well compensated, win or lose. They'll remember the guy who tipped them $25 over the course of a 1 hour session where they lost $300, they'll also remember the guy who tipped them $25 over the course of a 1 hour session where they won $300. The key here is to be consistent. I don't refrain from tipping if I'm losing. I don't refrain from tipping if I'm winning. I will always tip my dealers at certain points throughout any session
    so your ev is $20/hr and you tip $25/hr.....hmmmm....more "well compensated" than you?...are you sure you are winning?

Hi-Lo works fine. If you're not using a lot of index plays, and/or playing pitch, the differences are probably less than 10%. I don't think a recreational player should be trying to use an advanced count, because most recreational players I see make serious mistakes. Most players would be better off just practicing counting/BS and learning more index plays before they worry about an advanced count.

On the other hand, some people like the challenge (rmwlaw, maybe tthree, Tarzan).

I use Hi Lo, but I also do shuffle tracking, and that would be nearly impossible with any side count.

If you're playing all shoes, I believe RAPC/Halves is actually the strongest count, and it's only level 2. In your situation, I think the choice is between Hi-Lo and Halves/RAPC.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    I read in Griffens books that top engineers have the ability to understand, create, and implement highly complex equations. Some of that stuff is way out there. I've read his chapter on PE 16 times and I still don't get it.

But there is a special group that can take all that and make it simple again. I'm inclined to think this is Don S in a nutshell. Hi-Lo and Ill 18 seems to be what I'm hearing when I close my eyes and listen to what he's professing. I find there is a big difference between edge and advantage. But that's all single deck related. IF you don't have Norm's products - it's as valuable as a glove to a baseball player. I couldn't imagine playing shortshop barehanded or better yet catcher (for multiple decks) without one. If you do have them and don't have game - it's time to go back to school. ...And I can relate that the first thing that enters a person's mind during a swing to the upside is "damn I'm good" and downside variance it's "this count sucks."
    It may seem last few quotes that I must be "sucking up" to Moses........but I'm not. LOL Just fortuitous timing, I guess. BUT.......I agree wholeheartedly with what he said. There are two kinds of folks on this site. True professionals and most (at least in my humble opinion) that are part time professionals, play this game for a side income, or avocation. (I'm not discounting the math nerds or the newbies who think discovering BJ is the "easy road to riches".

But........the question still remains will you win a good amount? Reference is ALSO made to Professional Blackjack and Wong's computations. Look at p. 195 et seq (latest print version) and he talks about bankroll requirements that meet what I would think are pretty "average" or normal limits, and he estimates your expected wins are $226 for 1000 hands for a trip or $904 for 4000 hands using hi-low and ranging bets to a top of $50/hand spread. SD of $1028 and $2056. So proportionate it up if you bet more. What's a lot?

Or how about Chap 3, p.50, where his benchmark win rate for varying bets with the count spread on hi-lo is $12/hour with an SD of $401. Using $26.54 as a unit bet. So figure it out based upon your bankroll and what level of competency you have. It's not a 'lot" as how I would judge my money but it's a gain that is worth it to play over time at whatever level you enjoy or maintain.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast