Thread: Hey KJ, Mr. CAA is talking about you again

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hey KJ, Mr. CAA is talking about you again

Banned or Suspended

Yes, I saw the blog last week, 21forme. But thanx for trying to stir up trouble.

I have to say that I completely agree with the part about players taking consolation in the fact that their recent loses are so statistically improbable. I remember shortly after I joined the community and began posting, back on BJinfo, I posted about a downswing that I had gone through. The first response was from one of the ‘math guys’ to tell me just how unlikely such a run was.

In all honesty, I couldn’t figure out if he was telling me he didn’t believe my numbers because of how unlikely the scenario was or whether he was saying I just had the misfortune of some extremely bad ‘luck’. So I didn’t quite know how to respond. If he was saying the scenario was so unlikely that he was having trouble believing it…well that made two of us. But guess what…It just happened. If he was saying I should take some consolation because it was such an extremely unlikely run, well that doesn’t help. That doesn’t bring back my losses.

I believe a player needs to understand about variance and standard deviation, and what to expect and what is extreme. But finding consolation after the fact doesn’t do much. That’s like telling someone who was just hit by lightning and suffering painful injuries, how very rare it is. That just isn’t going to make him feel a whole lot better.

As for the rest, I am not taking it personally. There seems to be a common element of much of James’s writings. He always seems to fit in some kind of ‘put down’ to card counters. He likes to remind us, how much more advanced he is. And strangely, he seems to take it almost personally, that some players ‘choose’ to remain at this level. As if it is some sort of insult to him, that some of us, still enjoy playing and winning by this method. I happen to really enjoy making a living by this most elementary technique. I am not only not ashamed to call myself a card counter, but rather proud of it.

Last edited by KJ; 09-19-2014 at 12:19 PM.

IMO the purpose of checking where you are on the curve is:

1. It might be worth checking if there is a flaw in your game
    No, this does not mean that if you are 3 SDs down you MUST be doing something wrong, but in a large (many hands) sample you might want to re-examine your game.

2. If the poor results are all with one dealer/one store the game you may have been cheated (indeed, odds are you weren't - but the possibility is out there).
    If I am over 3+ SD down at a store over a reasonable sample (x,000 hands), with no other information (such as other people's results) I might cut my losses even if I see no obvious signs of cheating. This will happen very rarely.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Yes, I saw the blog last week, 21forme. But thanx for trying to stir up trouble.

I have to say that I completely agree with the part about players taking consolation in the fact that their recent loses are so statistically improbable. I remember shortly after I joined the community and began posting, back on BJinfo, I posted about a downswing that I had gone through. The first response was from one of the ‘math guys’ to tell me just how unlikely such a run was.

In all honesty, I couldn’t figure out if he was telling me he didn’t believe my numbers because of how unlikely the scenario was or whether he was saying I just had the misfortune of some extremely bad ‘luck’. So I didn’t quite know how to respond. If he was saying the scenario was so unlikely that he was having trouble believing it…well that made two of us. But guess what…It just happened. If he was saying I should take some consolation because it was such an extremely unlikely run, well that doesn’t help. That doesn’t bring back my losses.

I believe a player needs to understand about variance and standard deviation, and what to expect and what is extreme. But finding consolation after the fact doesn’t do much. That’s like telling someone who was just hit by lightning and suffering painful injuries, how very rare it is. That just isn’t going to make him feel a whole lot better.

As for the rest, I am not taking it personally. There seems to be a common element of much of James’s writings. He always seems to fit in some kind of ‘put down’ to card counters. He likes to remind us, how much more advanced he is. And strangely, he seems to take it almost personally, that some players ‘choose’ to remain at this level. As if it is some sort of insult to him, that some of us, still enjoy playing and winning by this method. I happen to really enjoy making a living by this most elementary technique. I am not only not ashamed to call myself a card counter, but rather proud of it.

Undoubtedly Mr. Grosjean is a member of this forum under an assumed name since he is aware of the posts that are made here. It would be nice if he would participate in any discussions he found worthwhile.
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Bodarc View Post
    Undoubtedly Mr. Grosjean is a member of this forum under an assumed name since he is aware of the posts that are made here. It would be nice if he would participate in any discussions he found worthwhile.
    There are others just as knowledgeable, maybe more, who do post here, on and off, and some frequently. JG has his own site, so I doubt he would post here, anymore than Wong would or the Managers of BJ21.

O

Actually, it looks like JG's website and forums don't exist anymore.

What is this???

http://beyondnumbers.lvablog.com/

Don

Blog Entries

James started a blog on Anthony's site a while back. Whenever anything is added, it shows up as a new post here if you are a subscriber. But, his old site disappeared a month ago.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Right, his blog exists, but his website and forums went away.