Thread: Fishing in WA or trouble?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Fishing in WA or trouble?

HI, all

I know no one knows for sure but I just wanted some input as to what you think is going on (best you can do) with this scenario:

Playing 6D shoes at small local place in WA last week with 1 - 2 other people at $10 tables. First shoes go high TC and I lose all the bigger bets and go down a lot right away. Place is slow so PB is just standing there watching everything. Play for about 1 hr. and TC stays at 0 to negative the rest of the time so nothing happens and I'm still down a lot.

Move to new table and keep playing and nothing is happening. TC just hovers around 0 for another hour but I manage to make small truly lucky comeback with nothing but variance and min. bets. PB comments in a friendly way that I'm doing better and I comment how far down I am still and she says she knows.

Take a break, eat dinner, come back.

New table and still nothing happening. PB wanders over and watches for a bit with min. bets and comments that I'm still down. I say, "Yeah, you never know if you're gonna win or lose." She says, "Yeah, even if you're counting cards, you don't know what will happen." I promptly shoot back, "Oh, yeah, I never count on the cards, even if I have a Blackjack, until I see the Dealer's cards!" PB nods and wanders off.

I move to a new table and play heads up (first time ever!) with friendly guy Dealer for 2 shoes. He's rooting for me. PB makes a couple of humorous remarks from afar (they really were funny!) to me and Dealer about my chances on a couple of sure-win or sure-lose hands, we do a little back and forth in a joking way, but she never says another word about counting. I finally get a good shoe and make the moves at the end and win enough to be almost even. Dealer is all friendly and happy and PB doesn't seem to notice at all.

I tip dealer, pack it in and PB says, "Leaving already?" I say, "Yeah, if I stayed any longer, you'd have to start paying me." PB laughs and I go to bathroom and then leave without incident.

Any worries?

None.

muff

Thanks for the help!!

I feel like she was just trying to see how you would react to the question. Most PB can figure out though what you are trying to do. There are however tell tale signs that counters give when counting cards.

You handled the situation correctly, in my opinion. Some would say, after showing your max bet, to end the session.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

It really Depends on your stakes and which card room. Most in WA don't really even care if you're under 2x100 for a max bet.

If you were betting 2x150 or more, its possibly they were fishing. If you were betting 2x300 and black on the LL bet, they were watching you from the eye for sure and probably called the PB to let her know.

I have played at about every card room in WA, and I have never been in one where the pit watches you to determine counting. It all comes from the eye. Or at the more tolerant ones my back off has come from a few big wins and a tape review.

With all the details in your thread though it wouldn't be hard for her to figure out who you were if she were ever trolling the free public BJ forums.
    Last edited by White Guy; 03-05-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks to all for replying! Will update if anything happens.

In poker there are different levels of thinking (ie. playing just the cards you are dealt, playing your cards from the other players POV, etc.) Think about the situation from HER point of view. The last thing they want to do is back-off a non AP. Don't be memorable and you'll last longer as well.