See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post
    They used to be called TROUBADORS.
    Thanks ZenMaster.That explains the genesis of songwriter/singer.
    What about songwriter/philosopher? That probably goes back decades too.

Blog Entries

Plato and Aristotle discussed philosophical tenets of music 2,500 years ago. I don't happen to agree with their thoughts on this.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Plato and Aristotle discussed philosophical tenets of music 2,500 years ago. I don't happen to agree with their thoughts on this.
    I had to look this up. It appears that Plato and Socrates could have been members of the older generation in any argument on teenagers' music in the last 100 years. (See below-I Googled this info. It's from Amazing Discoveries-2/3/2010.)
    Aristotle recognized that music communicates emotion, and that immoral music can shape our character for the worse. Plato also observed the effect that music had on society in his day and made this thought-provoking statement:
    Any musical innovation is full of danger to the whole state, and ought to be prohibited. When modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the state always change with them.ii
    Plato also spoke about the contribution music made to the moral decline of ancient Greece:
    They were men of genius, but they had no perception of what was just and lawful in music...And by composing licentious works, and adding to them words as licentious, they have inspired the multitude with lawlessness and boldness, and made them fancy that they could judge for themselves about melody and song...in music there first arose the universal conceit of omniscience and general lawlessness; freedom came following afterwards, and men, fancying that they knew what they did not know, had no longer any fear, and the absence of fear begets shamelessness. For what is this shamelessness, which is so evil a thing, but the insolent refusal to regard the opinion of the better by reason of an over-daring sort of liberty?

However, I was thinking more of the following examples; (also Googled)
    7 Bent out of shape from society's pliers, cares not to come up any higher, but rather get you down in the hole that he's in. - Bob Dylan, It's Alright, Ma
    20 Heard ten thousand whispering and nobody listening. Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughing. Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter. - Bob Dylan, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    22 How many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry? Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows that too many people have died? - Bob Dylan; Peter, Paul, and Mary, Blowin' In The Wind
    29 I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. - Bob Dylan; The Byrds, My Back Pages
    72 The swift don't win the race. It goes to the worthy, who can divide the word of truth. - Bob Dylan, I and I
    89 You better start swimming or sink like a stone, cause the times they are a-changing. - Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin'
    94 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. - Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues
    117 All the money you make will never buy back your soul. - Bob Dylan, Masters Of War
    154 Charity is suppose to cover up for a multitude of sins. - Bob Dylan, Something's Burning Baby
    190 Every pleasures got an edge of pain, pay for your ticket and don't complain. - Bob Dylan, Silvio
    218 Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you. - Bob Dylan, It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    241 If you need somebody you can trust, trust yourself. - Bob Dylan, Trust Yourself
    265 I've always been the kind of person that doesn't like to trespass, but sometimes you just find yourself over the line. - Bob Dylan, Brownsville Girl
    278 Let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late. - Bob Dylan; Jimi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower
    302 May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong, may you stay forever young. - Bob Dylan, Forever Young

[1/21]

ID# Song Quote - Artist, Title
    3 All you need is love, love. Love is all you need. - The Beatles, All You Need Is Love
    5 And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make. - The Beatles, The End
    41 It's been a hard day's night. - The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night
    50 Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, life goes on. - The Beatles, Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da
    75 There are places I remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever, not for better, some have gone and some remain. - The Beatles, In My Life
    275 Let it be, let it be. There will come an answer, let it be. - The Beatles, Let It Be
    282 Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend. - The Beatles, We Can Work It Out
    329 One thing I can tell you is we got to be free. - The Beatles, Come Together
    533 All these places have their moments with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living in my life, I've loved them all. - The Beatles, In My Life
    547 Black, white, green, red, can I take my friend to bed? - The Beatles, All Together Now
    610 I get by with a little help from my friends. - The Beatles, Little Help From My Friends
    688 In my hour of darkness, she is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be. - The Beatles, Let It Be
    717 Of all these friends and lovers there is no one who compares with you. And these memories lose their meaning when I think of love as something new. - The Beatles, In My Life
    948 Try thinking more, if just for your own sake. - The Beatles, Think For Yourself
    1015 Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life, you were only waiting for this moment to arrive, you were only waiting for this moment to be free. - The Beatles, Blackbird

Banned or Suspended

Plus les choses changent, plus elles restent les mêmes.
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 08-25-2015 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post
    Plus les choses changent, plus elles restent les mêmes.
    Which brings us back to the theme of this thread: quotes.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill
    Success is never final. Winston Churchill

Banned or Suspended

Some people die at 25 and aren’t buried until 75. —Benjamin Franklin

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions. Their lives a mimicry. Their passions a quotation. — Oscar Wilde

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. —Arthur C. Clark

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. — Albert Einstein

Of all sad words of mouth or pen, the saddest are these: it might have been. — John Greenleaf Whittier

I fear not the man who has practised 10,000 kicks, but I do fear the man who has practised one kick 10,000 times. Bruce Lee

And when you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. — Friedrich Nietzsche

Don’t let schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on. — John F. Kennedy

It is no measure of health to be well—adjusted to a profoundly sick society. — Jiddu Krisnamurti

Every man dies, but not every man truly lives. — William Wallace

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. — Plato

Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go. ? Oscar Wilde

Have I not destroyed my enemy when I have made him into my friend? — Abraham Lincoln

To love is to recognize yourself in another. – Eckhart Tolle

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic. — Tryon Edwards

If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. —Antoine de Saint—Exupery

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. — Benjamin Franklin

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money. — Indian Proverb

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. –Kahlil Gibran

Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough. – William Saroyan

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ? John Lennon

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ? Albert Einstein

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world – that is the myth of the atomic age – as in being able to remake ourselves. ? Mahatma Gandhi

The best people possess a feeling for beauty, the courage to take risks, the discipline to tell the truth, the capacity for sacrifice. Ironically, their virtues make them vulnerable; they are often wounded, sometimes destroyed. — Ernest Hemingway

In a closed society where everybody’s guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. ? Hunter S. Thompson

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. ? Dwight D. Eisenhower

Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. – Lao Tzu

Dalai Llama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, said: “ Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off ? Chuck Palahniuk

The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost invariably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And if he is not romantic personally, he is apt to spread discontent among those who are. ? HL Mencken
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 09-09-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Blog Entries

“One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough.”

“Nowadays most men lead lives of noisy desperation.”

“You can fool too many people, too much of the time.”

- James Thurber
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

We ought to deal justly, not only with those who are just to us, but likewise to those who endeavor to injure us; and this, for fear lest by rendering them evil for evil, we should fall into the same vice. Hierocles

Faced with the choice between two evils, I always choose the one I haven’t tried before. Mae West

no skeletons

"I've never held a grudge. As soon as I get even with the s.o.b, I forget it!" - W.C. Fields
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-14-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: censored

Sometimes with secret pride I sigh
    To think how tolerant am I;
    Then wonder which is really mine:
    Tolerance, or a rubber spine?
    Ogden Nash

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

Indifference is the essence of inhumanity.
    G B Shaw

Blog Entries

"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy."

Nora Ephron

Don't bet against the math, it always wins in the long run. Bodarc
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

If you want a good gambling life, make positive expectation bets. You can as a first approximation, think of each negative expectation bet as charging your account with a tax in the amount of the expectation. Conversely, each positive expectation bet might be thought of as crediting your account with a profit in the amount of the expectation. If you only pay tax you go broke. If you only collect credits, you get rich. E.O. Thorp
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast