See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Insurance

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Buying Insurance

Was wondering if buying other players insurance for a 1:1 (maybe even 3:2) payout could ever be profitable?

Muckz

Very.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartpart View Post
    Very.
    Thanks that's all I needed to know, ill look it up for my system; I assume it isn't the same true count as my insurance bet as i get 2:1.\

Muckz

Quote Originally Posted by muckz View Post
    Thanks that's all I needed to know, ill look it up for my system; I assume it isn't the same true count as my insurance bet as i get 2:1.\

Muckz
    Why do you think they would be different?

payouts, for a 1:1 payout there would have to be more tens than other cards left in the deck. For my insurance bet it is true 4 which means the number of 10/A = number of babies the count does not count neutral cards so there are more non tens than tens left in the deck. But the 2:1 payout makes it worth it to still take the bet.

Muckz

Sorry I completely misread the question.

I don't think most people would let you take the whole thing it's the same outcome they would get if they didn't buy.

Quote Originally Posted by muckz View Post
    I don't think most people would let you take the whole thing it's the same outcome they would get if they didn't buy.
    Most people see BJ as a team game with all against the dealer. This view makes me laugh but if they aren't going to take insurance and they let you take it only the biggest jerk would expect a piece of what you risked your money on a "sucker bet" to win.

If insurance doesn't pay 2:1 it's hard to envision any standard BJ scenario where it would be + EV (unless you know the dealer has a BJ). I like Smartpart, I'm not even sure what you are asking.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
    I like Smartpart, I'm not even sure what you are asking.
    i dont think anybody is.
    what do you mean buying insurance for a 1:1 payout?
    you risk the insurance bet and if the dealer has bj the other player will keep half of the winnings?
    that sounds ridiculous.
    Buying insurance from other players is one of the most profitable scavenging moves (if not the most) out there. Of course, for it to be worth it you have to be playing with people thats betting big.

Quote Originally Posted by bjarg View Post
    what do you mean buying insurance for a 1:1 payout?
    you risk the insurance bet and if the dealer has bj the other player will keep half of the winnings?
    that sounds ridiculous.
    We have one poster around here that doesn't think so. We had a similar discussion over buying surrendered hands. He felt it only fair that it should be a partner situation. Most people thought he was crazy but he stuck to his guns. There can be a heat factor involved when it comes to buying others insurance opportunities. You need to decide if it is worth the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    We have one poster around here that doesn't think so. We had a similar discussion over buying surrendered hands. He felt it only fair that it should be a partner situation. Most people thought he was crazy but he stuck to his guns. There can be a heat factor involved when it comes to buying others insurance opportunities. You need to decide if it is worth the heat.
    I like everything about buying insurance 2:1 from other players but, you usually have your max bet out and if you do win insurance bet the players reactions do cause lots of attention. Sharing the winnings would hopefully bring less attention and reduce the "that guy must be counting cards" remarks. Unless you have a strong voodoo act I think buying an entire tables insurance is a sure way to be spotted.

Muckz

I really wasn't looking for an argument on this topic I just wanted to know if buying insurance for less than 2:1 payout could be profitable and if that point was within a reasonable TC.

Muckz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast