See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which deviations are most valuable?

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Bottom line: insurance and 16 vs. T are the two most important deviations in the game, and their importance and contributions to SCORE are very close to each other -- so much so that, under certain game conditions, 16 vs. T can be more important.
    If insurance is the most important skill for making money, I just do not see any future of AP. This conclusion does not justify our education. Thank you somuch for you instruction. Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    If insurance is the most important skill for making money, I just do not see any future of AP. This conclusion does not justify our education.
    Someone who is in the very early stages in development in forming a solid foundation regarding the learning stages of a game should not be making uninformed conclusions.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Someone who is in the very early stages in development in forming a solid foundation regarding the learning stages of a game should not be making uninformed conclusions.
    I meant to say is that the chance of taking insurance is only once every 150 hands. So, how is possible for you guys to make money?

I meant to say is that the chance of taking insurance is only once every 150 hands. So, how is possible for you guys to make money?
    Knowing when to take insurance is only one tool in a large tool box.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Knowing when to take insurance is only one tool in a large tool box.
    Can you safely say that insurance is the most important skill in blackjack? This is what I keep pushing.

Can you safely say that insurance is the most important skill in blackjack? This is what I keep pushing.
    You're really not making any sense pushing this. The most important skill is playing correctly. Knowing when to take insurance is just one very small part of the game.

Insurance isn't a "skill." It's a strategy departure. It's an index number that you learn -- one among many. It happens to be the most important one, but you are obsessing over something that doesn't merit your obsession.

Don

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Insurance isn't a "skill." It's a strategy departure. It's an index number that you learn -- one among many. It happens to be the most important one, but you are obsessing over something that doesn't merit your obsession.

Don
    See spreadsheet. Here I calculated the total amount of bet (investment) for a 6-deck shoe, not the expected return. I used a bet spread of 1/2/4/8/16. I do not know how to calculate ER for these cases. Any idea? I am still not sure about the relative importance of 16vs10 and insurance, but it strongly depends on the bet spread, of course, the number of decks. Insurace16vs10V2.jpg
    Last edited by aceside; 01-14-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123