See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of hands played

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Number of hands played

Playing at a table with 1 or 2 others...I understand the rationale and math behind playing 2-3 hands at a reduced bet amount at the appropriate TC. I also understand why it’s best to play only one hand (except the last) if playing heads-up. Playing low limits, I’ve come across many circumstances where either I start heads-up and then people join me (happens more often than not), or I’m playing with others and then they leave me alone; but, I have a reasonable expectation that others will soon join me. In this case, or when I start alone, expecting to be joined by others, would it be beneficial to play more than one hand if the TC is appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Old new guy View Post
    Playing at a table with 1 or 2 others...I understand the rationale and math behind playing 2-3 hands at a reduced bet amount at the appropriate TC. I also understand why it’s best to play only one hand (except the last) if playing heads-up. Playing low limits, I’ve come across many circumstances where either I start heads-up and then people join me (happens more often than not), or I’m playing with others and then they leave me alone; but, I have a reasonable expectation that others will soon join me. In this case, or when I start alone, expecting to be joined by others, would it be beneficial to play more than one hand if the TC is appropriate?
    Short answer: yes. Just make sure to size your bets correctly with respect to what the correct one-hand wager is.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Short answer: yes. Just make sure to size your bets correctly with respect to what the correct one-hand wager is.

Don
    Thanks Don

Don
    whats the reasoning for only one hand heads up? I understand there’s no one else at the table to eat up the cards in high counts. But I’m not following what the benefit would be.

is it the increased std deviation?
    Last edited by Scrum; 01-16-2021 at 07:03 AM.

There's no benefit to two hands heads-up. But the OP said he expected that others would join. So why not just play two hands from the beginning and stay that way when the others join?

Don

There's no benefit to two hands heads-up. But the OP said he expected that others would join. So why not just play two hands from the beginning and stay that way when the others join?

Don
    Understood

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    Understood
    I always play two hands when I have an edge. You get more portion of the remaining good cards, and this means you get more blackjacks, splits, double downs, more powerful insurance. These give more advantage to the player. In addition, you can bet a lot more on side bets with two hands.

Quote Originally Posted by aceside View Post
    I always play two hands when I have an edge. You get more portion of the remaining good cards, and this means you get more blackjacks, splits, double downs, more powerful insurance. These give more advantage to the player. In addition, you can bet a lot more on side bets with two hands.
    Some here feel playing side bets is gambling unless you are a rare breed that can count for sidebets along with your BJ game.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Some here feel playing side bets is gambling unless you are a rare breed that can count for sidebets along with your BJ game.
    I know what you are saying. Side bets for me low rollers are very important. For black chip players, they are neglected.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Did it ever occur to you that, if you're playing alone, you're also using up more cards each round?

Don

Banned or Suspended

Did it ever occur to you that, if you're playing alone, you're also using up more cards each round?

Don
    I think it really depends on the number of decks. I played mainly 6 and 8 decks, and using up the remaining good cards never overcomes the advantage of using more good cards. I feel single deck and DD are sensitive to this.

I think it really depends on the number of decks. I played mainly 6 and 8 decks, and using up the remaining good cards never overcomes the advantage of using more good cards. I feel single deck and DD are sensitive to this.
    Don, and Gronbog can you put the above quote into the new books?

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Don, and Gronbog can you put the above quote into the new books?

I tried. Silly me.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast