Thread: Question for Stealth and others

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question for Stealth and others

How do you keep track of rounds played for a trip? Record keeping is very important and I want to make sure the records are reasonably accurate.

One idea I have is just counting the shoes that I play for a trip and then estimate rounds played per shoe based upon average penetration. Of course other players at the table would impact this number so I'm at a loss for what to do.

What do you think?

MJ

I qualify as others, so I'll answer. I don't track rounds. I track time. Although I know one long-time successful player whose userid starts with a K and ends with a J (not on this forum) who tracks rounds, to me it seems like a lot of effort for naught. If you want his opinion, post your question on bjinfo.

What info are you looking for by tracking rounds? If it's how your results compare with EV, you need many months of regular play to be statistically significant. You can always estimate the # of rounds/hr and multiply by hours, if that's your goal.

Banned or Suspended

I always estimated H P H by a combination of dealer speed, player density, ASM? etc.

Defaulting to what appears to be the median H P H of perhaps 60 - 70 H P H

Anywhere from 50 to 90 hands per hour by and large.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    What info are you looking for by tracking rounds? If it's how your results compare with EV,
    This.

It is a lot of work that isn't very useful.
    How many decks are dealt that shoe and what was thee average number of spots played that shoe. These two will approximate the number of rounds played each shoe. 2.7 cards per spot times the average number of spots gives the average number of cards played per round. The average number of cards per round is divided into the number of cards played during the shoe. This gives the number of rounds per shoe. Add in a time that it took to play the shoe and you have the info needed to convert sums of shoes over time into rounds/hour.

If you go to that much trouble track the number of advantage rounds played at each bet if you can. Your goal as an AP is to find a way to play the most advantage rounds while playing the least disadvantage rounds given a set time frame. But if you have plenty of time, time can be removed from the equation. Just remember, it is your big bets that attract attention, but it is the frequency of small bets that get you a backoff. Big bets only look big when they are compared to your small bets. You want to show as few small bets as is practical. This helps you make more money because disadvantage bets are a drag on profits, and it helps with the contrast of small bets to big bets.

Time out how long it takes a dealer, on average, to get through a shoe at your store. Then assume each round uses 2.7 x (players +1) cards. Divide by the number of cards in front of the cut card. Divide the time it takes to deal a shoe by the number of rounds dealt per shoe and you have your answer. If you want to be more precise, do this for different numbers of players, penetration, etc. And be aware of side-bet action - really can slow things down.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Divide the time it takes to deal a shoe by the number of rounds dealt per shoe and you have your answer.
    I don't see why this should factor into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Time out how long it takes a dealer, on average, to get through a shoe at your store. Then assume each round uses 2.7 x (players +1) cards. Divide by the number of cards in front of the cut card. Divide the time it takes to deal a shoe by the number of rounds dealt per shoe and you have your answer. If you want to be more precise, do this for different numbers of players, penetration, etc. And be aware of side-bet action - really can slow things down.
    See BJA3, p. 18. Don 't forget that, once the cut-card is reached, the round is completed.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    See BJA3, p. 18. Don 't forget that, once the cut-card is reached, the round is completed.

Don
    Don, do you think it is worth going through the trouble of recording how many players were at the table for each shoe and the pen for each shoe? That can be a lot to track. What happens if players are coming and going?

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
    Don, do you think it is worth going through the trouble of recording how many players were at the table for each shoe and the pen for each shoe? That can be a lot to track. What happens if players are coming and going?

MJ
    To me, never worth it. I recorded hours of play. I knew not all games were equal and not all conditions were equal. But, as you say, people come and go. It wasn't worth it to me to go to that level of precision.

Don