Thread: zoomie: SP21 Surrender after Split

zoomie

zoomie: SP21 Surrender after Split

In AC recently I split 8s against A, drew a 9, asked to surrender. There was some disagreement among the pit personnel, but eventually the Pit Boss said I could not do it. It seems that she was correct, as the NJ Gaming Commission rules say,

"After the first two cards are dealt to a player and the player's point total is announced, the player may elect to discontinue play on his or her hand for that round by surrendering one-half of his or her wager."

Read literally, the cards in a split hand are not "the first two cards dealt to a player." But is that really the intent of the rule?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Short answer: yes

> Read literally, the cards in a split hand are not
    > "the first two cards dealt to a player." But
    > is that really the intent of the rule?

Yes, absolutely. You may not surrender after splitting.

Don

AutomaticMonkey

AutomaticMonkey: Re: Short answer: yes

> Yes, absolutely. You may not surrender after
    > splitting.

> Don

Oh, sure you can! I've done it many times. And I've also gotten early surrender and 2:1 on naturals.

It's just a matter of salesmanship!

newzoomie

newzoomie: Re: Short answer: yes

> Oh, sure you can! I've done it many times. And I've
    > also gotten early surrender and 2:1 on naturals.

> It's just a matter of salesmanship!

Well, same here. Just do it confidently. Oddly this sort of thing seems to work best with a dealer who is very fast, a hotshot on duty during a peak time because he/she is so good. It's like they value speed so much they just don't take the time to think.