Thread: Skunkfunk9: index number

Skunkfunk9

Skunkfunk9: index number

Does anybody know why the index number for 12 vs. 5 is lower (more negative) than 12 vs. 6? For hi lo, my chart says that the index number for 12 vs. 5 is -2, and 12 vs. 6 is negative one. I'd think that you'd need more low cards in the deck in order to justify hitting vs a 6 than against a 5. also, a lower number follows the pattern

12 vs. 2 +3
    12 vs. 3 +2
    12 vs. 4 0
    12 vs. 5 -2 (i've seen negative one here)
    12 vs. 6 -1 ? (i've seen 0 here for hi lo as well)

Can anybody explain this?

BJinNJ

BJinNJ: Just guessing...

An Ace gives the dealer soft 17 with a 6 up, not with a 5 up.

BJinNJ

Count of Montecristo

Count of Montecristo: Re: index number

Pretty sure it has to do with the fact that the dealer may have an Ace underneath that 6 and would stand on S17. With a 5 up, the dealer definitely has to hit, with a 6, there's a slight chance they won't, and you're dead standing on your stiff 12.

> Does anybody know why the index number for 12 vs. 5 is
    > lower (more negative) than 12 vs. 6? For hi lo, my
    > chart says that the index number for 12 vs. 5 is -2,
    > and 12 vs. 6 is negative one. I'd think that you'd
    > need more low cards in the deck in order to justify
    > hitting vs a 6 than against a 5. also, a lower number
    > follows the pattern

> 12 vs. 2 +3
    > 12 vs. 3 +2
    > 12 vs. 4 0
    > 12 vs. 5 -2 (i've seen negative one here)
    > 12 vs. 6 -1 ? (i've seen 0 here for hi lo as well)

> Can anybody explain this?

AutomaticMonkey

AutomaticMonkey: That's exactly the reason

There's a >1/13 chance the dealer already has his hand and has you beat.

Same reason there are more soft double BS plays in H17. With a soft double play you often end up with a stiff, but if the dealer has soft 17 he's not done yet, there's still a chance he will bust his hand and you will win.

Aruuba

Aruuba: Re: index number

> 12 vs. 5 -2 (i've seen negative one here)
    > 12 vs. 6 -1 ? (i've seen 0 here for hi lo as well)
    > Can anybody explain this?

As far as the 5 goes and why lower index than 6 I don't really know either. Maybe because dealer busts more often with a 6?
    I can guess or think about it but ultimately I don't really care and make the leap of faith. But asking "why" is always good too!

As far as -1 vs -2 or -1 vs 0, I'm guessing the lower numbers were based on a different way of calculating a TC, like maybe truncating instead of flooring. I think maybe Wong truncated -TC's before his 1994 Edition which changed alot of index numbers when he decided to floor -TC's. Hopefully, someone can maybe confirm that becasue I'm not totally sure.

So that's not really a "why" question. Well maybe it is I guess But there's really only one answer to it, not 2, so they both can't be right under the same conditions and assumptions, so it would be good to examine exactly what's going on from the sources you have that refer to the two different index departures for each play.

So I think one uses TC-1 and TC0 for 12 vs 5 and 6 with TC's based on flooring.

Where have you seen -2 and -1?

Aruuba

Aruuba: Re: That's exactly the reason

> There's a >1/13 chance the dealer already has his
    > hand and has you beat.

> Same reason there are more soft double BS plays in
    > H17. With a soft double play you often end up with a
    > stiff, but if the dealer has soft 17 he's not done
    > yet, there's still a chance he will bust his hand and
    > you will win.

In H17 games isn't the index # for 12 vs 6 lower than 12 vs 5 as opposed to higher in an S17 game?

What about Bob?

What about Bob?: Re: That's exactly the reason

> In H17 games isn't the index # for 12 vs 6 lower than
    > 12 vs 5 as opposed to higher in an S17 game?

H17
    12v5 -1
    12v6 -3

Skunkfunk9

Skunkfunk9: Re: index number

jay.purplewire.com/blackjack/ill18.html, this website lists the Ill. 18 with -2 -1