Thread: I like bjs (blackjacks): Std (An ointment may help) and NO question for someone who knows, Don?

I like bjs (blackjacks)

I like bjs (blackjacks): Std (An ointment may help) and NO question for someone who knows, Don?

I am having a little trouble with the concept of NO and Std. They are inversely related? When considering a betting scheme do you want to keep the hourly Std. down or the NO? I would like to understand the concepts but, is the answer just to look at the DI?
    Thnx for your time

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Std (An ointment may help) and NO question for someone who knows, Don?

> I am having a little trouble with the concept of NO
    > and Std. They are inversely related?

No, N0 and SCORE are inverses of each other. SCORE is (e.v./s.d.)^2 multiplied by a convenient factor to make the number make sense, while N0 is the reciprocal (multiplicative inverse).

> When considering
    > a betting scheme do you want to keep the hourly Std.
    > down or the NO?

Both. But, if you bet optimally, you maximize the risk-adjusted return, or the SCORE. You can't isolate s.d. and say you want it to be as low as possible, because you can achieve that by not playing! So, you have to consider the ratio of how much you win (e.v.) to how much risk (s.d.) you take to achieve that win, and then try to maximize the ratio of the two.

> I would like to understand the
    > concepts but, is the answer just to look at the DI?

Yes, it is. But, again, it's the square of DI, or the SCORE, that is best used for comparisons.
    > Thnx for your time

You're welcome.

Don

Don