Thread: Samoht: Emails from IRS (Phishing)

Samoht

Samoht: Emails from IRS (Phishing)

Be aware of the tax refund scam, especially the posters here who have their email addresses publicly displayed as a part of their profile info. These posters will most likely receive a fake IRS' email like this:

__________________________________________________ __________________________

IRS Notification - Please Read This .

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $163.80. Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 6-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here
    [which is linked to a fake IRS website designed to scam your social security number, DOB, Name, address, etc,]

Regards,
    Internal Revenue Service

? Copyright 2006, Internal Revenue Service U.S.A. All rights reserved.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Don't fall for the above scam. If you do, you will give away your social security number, DOB, Name, address, etc, which is worth $50.00 to the scammers in black market. Don't take the bait, and you will not get hooked by criminals.

Parker

Parker: Re: Emails from IRS (Phishing)

The IRS has a great deal of info at their website regarding these schemes, including a place to report them. I have provided a link below.

Not surprisingly, the IRS takes a very dim view of scammers representing themselves as the IRS, and is doing everything possible to go after them.

The phishing scam e-mails are fairly easy to spot, since a legitimate e-mail, whether it is from your bank, a government agency, pay-pal, etc., will always address you by your full name. Also, the legit places will never ask for you SSN, since they already have that info.

It is helpful to provide an e-mail address in your Advantageplayer.com profile, so that other readers may contact you directly if they wish to further discuss a post you made. However, this should not be your primary e-mail address. Open a free web-based account with Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. for this purpose.

Oddly, I get less spam/scams/etc. at my rge21.com e-mail address than I do from some of my other addresses, despite "[email protected]" appearing on every post I make.