Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maverick: CSMs - Which one

Maverick

Maverick: CSMs - Which one

Greetings,

The link below shows a listing and pictures of all the various types of Shuffle Master. I was wondering if someone could tell me which one is prevalent in Las Vegas. And more specifically, which one is used by C*sino_Roy_le.

Here are the various types and what they look like:

http://www.rgbgames.com/shufflemaste...shufflers.html

Thanks,
    Maverick

Bettie

Bettie: Re: CSMs - Which one

> The link below shows a listing and pictures of all the
    > various types of Shuffle Master. I was wondering if
    > someone could tell me which one is prevalent in Las
    > Vegas.

Just about all of them. Seriously. The ACE is used to spit out certain numbers of cards and is used on games like Let it Ride. The Deckmate is not a CSM, but an automated shuffler, so that there is no shuffling between rounds on a 1- or 2-deck game. The dealer puts the used deck in and pulls out the other one while the first is shuffled by the machine. The decks will be 2 different colors in this situation. The King is a CSM, where the dealer puts the discards back in every round. I don't see this one too much as it's most commonly used in 4-deck games. The MD1 is also an auto-shuffler like the Deckmate, but can handle 6 decks and not just 1 or 2. The MD2 is the one machine here that I haven't seen. Doesn't mean it's not in use, since it can be used on a game other than BJ. The One2Six I've seen around several places, and it's a CSM that handles 6 decks.

Someone else may have more info; I don't play against CSMs and try not to play against ASMs, though it makes no real difference in terms of counting if you are playing against an ASM or not.

> And more specifically, which one is used by
    > C*sino_Roy_le.

That I can't tell you as I haven't played there in a long time.

Bettie

Maverick

Maverick: Wynn

Thanks Bettie.

I read your Wynn report and noted they have the one2six. I will monitor this thread and maybe someone can tell me what C*sino Roy_le is using.

Best regars,
    Maverick

fatcat519

fatcat519: Just Curious

> Someone else may have more info; I don't play against
    > CSMs and try not to play against ASMs, though it makes
    > no real difference in terms of counting if you are
    > playing against an ASM or not.

> Bettie

What's not to like about ASM's when you get more hands per hour from reduced shuffle time?
    (I'm not an ST'er.) -fc519

Parker

Parker: Re: CSMs - Which one

A few years ago the King CSM was the overwhelming favorite. My informal unscientific estimate is that about 90% of the CSM's in use were of this type.

These are gradually being replaced by the One2Six, probably because that model can be loaded with six decks, thus increasing the house edge with no visible effect on the game (the King holds five decks max).

I also get the feeling (again, with no formal evidence to back this up) that overall, use of CSM's in Las Vegas is on the decline.

No idea which model CR uses.

OldCootFromVA

OldCootFromVA: Re: Just Curious

> What's not to like about ASM's when you get more hands
    > per hour from reduced shuffle time?
    > (I'm not an ST'er.) -fc519

Agreed. Also, and this may just by my own experience, the game they produce tends to be more "even" -- fewer radical rises and falls -- still quite winnable.

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Just Curious

> (I'm not an ST'er.) -fc519

I am.

Bettie

Bettie

Bettie: Re: CSMs

> I also get the feeling (again, with no formal evidence
    > to back this up) that overall, use of CSM's in Las
    > Vegas is on the decline.

I hope so. A few years ago, a bunch of us made regular trips downtown, especially to Binion's, and would buy in at a CSM table for a grand or so, then pretend to notice the CSM for the first time and say something like, "Oh wait, I don't like those things. I think they cheat you. I'm headed to another table." (or some such nonsense) Then we'd leave with the pile of chips and go to a table without a CSM to play where the first pit could still see us. We'd even time it so that we'd each do it, making it happen about once an hour every couple weekends. The best part was when other people at the table would leave, too, though mostly they didn't. At least they'd start asking questions about it, and you could hear the dealer trying to justify the machine as you walked away. They did actually reduce the number of CSMs at Binion's after a couple months, though they didn't get rid of them entirely.

Bettie

suicyco maniac

suicyco maniac: Re: Just Curious

> the game they produce tends to be more
    > "even" -- fewer radical rises and falls --

Assuming this was actually true it would make the game a lot less desirable then a hand shuffled game.

OldCootFromVA

> Assuming this was actually true it would make the game
    > a lot less desirable then a hand shuffled game.

Fewer dramatic downswings -- winning at a modest, even, sustainable pace. You don't make the money fast, but you make money. That's my experience, anyway.

Parker

Parker: Re: Just Curious

> Fewer dramatic downswings -- winning at a modest,
    > even, sustainable pace. You don't make the money fast,
    > but you make money. That's my experience, anyway.

Drawing any conclusions based on personal experience is always risky. Even if you have been playing for many years, the sample size is just too small. Unless you have been keeping detailed written records of the type of shuffle being used, there is always the possibility of selective memory - sessions that reinforce your theory tend to stick in your mind more than those that do not.

Jay

Jay: Re: Royale With Cheese

I haven't stopped in the CR for months because the last time I was there all the games were 6:5 (and tables were packed). At that point who cares what machine they use?

OldCootFromVA

> Drawing any conclusions based on personal experience
    > is always risky. Even if you have been playing for
    > many years, the sample size is just too small. Unless
    > you have been keeping detailed written records of the
    > type of shuffle being used, there is always the
    > possibility of selective memory - sessions that
    > reinforce your theory tend to stick in your mind more
    > than those that do not.

Agreed, which is why I emphasised the "personal experience" aspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast