Thread: Myooligan: Don. . .

Myooligan

Myooligan: Don. . .

. . .would you be so kind as to recommend a good introductory book on investing? I know there are a lot of different aspects. . . how about a recommendation for where a fan of blackjack analysis and research, looking for fresh meat, might start? many thanks. . .

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Many to choose from

Too many to choose from. Depends on whether you're looking for some old-time classics from 60 years ago, or some modern works. I'll assume the latter and might recommend Peter Lynch's book (forget the title). He ran Fidelity's Magellan Fund for many years and was widely considered as one of the savviest fund managers ever.

Next might be the current "hot" guru, Jim Cramer, whom you may have seen on TV. He's extremely knowledgeable and wrote a decent book. You can't go too wrong reading Warren Buffett, either.

Also, you might check out the following site: magicformulainvesting.com and the book that goes along with it. It's brand new, but looked promising to me, although I gave it just a quick glance in the bookstore the other day.

Don

WallStRunoff

WallStRunoff: Re: Many to choose from

> Too many to choose from. Depends on whether you're
    > looking for some old-time classics from 60 years ago,
    > or some modern works.

To elaborate, I think Don is probably thinking of Ben Graham's books - the mentor of Mr. Buffet. One is entitled The Intelligent Investor and the other is Security Analysis.

I'll assume the latter and might
    > recommend Peter Lynch's book (forget the title).

Yes, Peter Lynch had an AMAZING run at Fidelity, basically he owned half the stocks on the exchange yet still returned about 27% a year. His books are somewhat simplistic but a good entry point. One is entitled One Up on Wall Street, another is Beating the Street, and they may be one or two others.

He
    > ran Fidelity's Magellan Fund for many years and was
    > widely considered as one of the savviest fund managers
    > ever.

> Next might be the current "hot" guru, Jim
    > Cramer, whom you may have seen on TV. He's extremely
    > knowledgeable and wrote a decent book.

Agreed, Cramer is sharp as a whip and I like his unique blend of humility and supreme confidence. Haven't read his book but I wouldn't mind doing so.

You can't go
    > too wrong reading Warren Buffett, either.

The best there ever was and ever will be. I think his best work is his collective annual reports written for Birkshire Hathaway. Try the Essays of Warren Buffet.

> Also, you might check out the following site:
    > magicformulainvesting.com and the book that goes along
    > with it. It's brand new, but looked promising to me,
    > although I gave it just a quick glance in the
    > bookstore the other day.

> Don

I might add this one, a personal favorite of mine: Financial Shinanigans by Howard Shilit.

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Another example of

not judging a book by it's cover.

> Agreed, Cramer is sharp as a whip ..

With my only knowledge of him coming from cable television .. I enjoyed his persona but thought him a total (probable) dork!

Wolverine

Wolverine: My 2 cents

Ben Graham's "Intelligent Investor" is a must read for any beginning investor. I'm sorry I read it later in life rather than earlier.

Diametrically opposed to Graham is the investing style of William O'Neill. He has written books teaching his 'CANSLIM' style of investing and the financial paper, "Investors Business Daily" prints financial news and points out O'Neill's strategies daily. You don't necessarily need to subscribe (I do), but you can pick up one or two at the newsstand to read through. They also offer a free 2-week trial subscription. www.investors.com

PS--Why do blackjack players and investors go hand in hand?