> click on that frame. Is it possible or we need to reload the
    > whole page?
    > Font's size looks much better now.

> Sincerely,
    > Cac

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: Need Feedback on New Look of Boards

> I could set the left frame to reload every 5 minutes or so. - V

I think it's worth a try. There is always time to go back.

Cac

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: 5 Minute Left Frame Reload

It's kind of drastic, so I'd like some more feedback if people like the idea.

Good Cards,

V

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: 5 Minute Left Frame Reload

> It's kind of drastic, so I'd like some more feedback if people
    > like the idea.

Ok.

Cac

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Nope. No scroll bars in response message box. *NM*

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Coupla thoughts

> I don't personally see much improvement with speed ..

I'd say it is 40% less slow than with the number count. Either way is good for me.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Yes! But a new problem

> I don't understand. Is anyone else having the same problem and
    > explain it? - V

I use Netscape 7.1. I don't increase the size of the font. The message box now has a horizontal scroll bar, and my answer has to be scrolled back and forth (left to right) for me to see everything that I write -- which was never the case before.

Of course, increasing the font size just makes matters worse.

Don

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: What is your screen resolution set to? *NM*

Saboteur

Saboteur: Hhmmmm

It's possible that Don's choice of font-size and/or display options might be a factor. I'm not familiar with Netscape's display options, but if his font-size causes each line of text to take up more room horizontally within the Post Response window, then he'd have to scroll over to see the rest of the text. The Post Response window isn't going to grow in width just to accommodate his larger font; it's "hard-coded" to remain a particular width in relation to screen-size. As a test, the first line of my post (the post you're reading now) ends with the words "and/or display options" when I read it inside the Post Response window. (You may have to remove the carets on the left-side of the text in order to mimic what I'm seeing here). There's additional room (white space) for about 3 more characters on the same line on MY screen. If, on Don's screen, he has to scroll to the right to see the words "and/or display options", then his screen is displaying text in a larger (wider) font. He has to horizontally-scroll to see an entire line of text that easily fits within the window for the rest of us.

This would be particularly true if the software causes the text within the window to be displayed horizontally until an embedded carriage return/line-feed (CrLf) character is reached. The effect on his screen is that he's "zoomed-in" on the Post Response window. From his "closer" viewpoint, he has to scroll over to see everything.

On another topic, I noticed that the three uppermost lines of text in a forum are offset (to the right) because they're centered in the space that remains after the Parker's Pages logo is put in place. Is it possible to center the three lines before the placement of the logo? Admittedly, the three lines then might "crowd" the logo. In particular, the top-most menu-bar ("View Thread-Post Response-Return to Index...") might be perilously close to the logo, but at least everything at the top of the screen would be truly centered. As UNobservant as I am, we may have been operating all along with the top three lines offset to accommodate the logo. I've only noticed it now because of the logo's temporary move to the right side of the screen.

Saboteur

Saboteur: More Hhmmmm

Simply removing the left caret doesn't cut it. The entire first line of my post (up to the word "options" will have to be copied-and-pasted into your own Post Response window to compare it to what I'm seeing.

Saboteur

Saboteur: Won't a True Type font also mess things up?

I'm referring to a font in which all characters have exactly the same width. If Don is using one of those, he'll need more room horizontally to see what people using another font see. The letter "l" (small-case "L") would take up as much horizontal space as the letter "M" on his screen.

It would only take one long line of text like that to invoke the horizontal scroll-bar, wouldn't it?

Parker

Parker: Re: Won't a True Type font also mess things up?

> I'm referring to a font in which all characters have exactly the
    > same width. If Don is using one of those, he'll need more room
    > horizontally to see what people using another font see. The
    > letter "l" (small-case "L") would take up as
    > much horizontal space as the letter "M" on his screen.

> It would only take one long line of text like that to invoke the
    > horizontal scroll-bar, wouldn't it?

You're referring to a monospace font. True-type fonts are a type of font developed by Microsoft (IIRC). They may be monospace or proportional spaced (where an upper-case "W" takes up 4 times as much space as a lower-case "i").

The message box defaults to a monospace font (at least it does on my systems). And no, I don't see any horizontal scroll bars.

Saboteur

Saboteur: Yep, that's it: monospace. Thanks!

And since the default is monospace (I see that now), it couldn't be the problem. My bad!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast