Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOTSOG: Would Anyone Want To Buy A Copy of Beyond Counting

SOTSOG

SOTSOG: Would Anyone Want To Buy A Copy of Beyond Counting

Would like to sell in the next week.
    Post a response, I am in Romania, so my internet access may be limited until Monday.

Brick

Brick: SPAM!

Just kidding, depends on the asking price?

Bettie

Bettie: Full Disclosure

You should know that there are rumors of a second edition being published this summer, so the asking price of $200 to $400 that the book has been going for is unreasonable at this point. At this point, I don't have any other details, so there's no point in asking.

Bettie

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis: Rumors

> You should know that there are rumors of a
    > second edition being published this summer,
    > so the asking price of $200 to $400 that the
    > book has been going for is unreasonable at
    > this point. At this point, I don't have any
    > other details, so there's no point in
    > asking.

> Bettie

Is the source James G? If not, I doubt that I would take much stock in them.

We've heard these rumors for some time now.

PM

ET Fan

ET Fan: Well, one source WAS James G ...

... at one point, anyway. I don't think he ever took it back.

ETF

> Is the source James G? If not, I doubt that
    > I would take much stock in them.

> We've heard these rumors for some time now.

> PM

Jim Penn

Jim Penn: Re: Well, one source WAS James G ...

Yes I would be interested in making an offer for the book...A second printing will not effect my interest. Name a price and method of payment.

Best, Jim

Bettie

Bettie: James didn't spread "rumor"

The current rumor, as I understand it, lies not in IF the book is being written, but WHEN the book will be published. James was always very forthcoming about the fact that he didn't have much time to write, nor could he make any promises as to when it could potentially be ready. If you go back to any of his posts here, you'll see that for yourself. Though I wasn't trying to make anyone believe so, I'll be honest and say that I did not hear this tidbit from James, as I haven't spoken to him in several months, nor does he have an obligation to publish with us.

Bettie

SOTSOG

SOTSOG: Payment Methods, Price, Etc.

> Yes I would be interested in making an offer
    > for the book...A second printing will not
    > effect my interest. Name a price and method
    > of payment.

> Best, Jim

Price is Market Price, make an offer.

If you have trust, neteller.com could be a method of payment.

More secure method would be to have Bettie act as a "middle man" for a percentage price of the sale. Bettie?

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Payment Methods, Price, Etc.

> More secure method would be to have Bettie
    > act as a "middle man" for a
    > percentage price of the sale. Bettie?

That's exactly what we did before for a few customers, but our caveat was that the books had to be in really good condition, with no marks at all, in order to be sold at the $200 rate that was then "market price."

I'm sure you'll get a few offers over the weekend, but call me on Monday if you'd rather do it this way.

Bettie

SOTSOG

SOTSOG: Condition.

> That's exactly what we did before for a few
    > customers, but our caveat was that the books
    > had to be in really good condition, with no
    > marks at all, in order to be sold at the
    > $200 rate that was then "market
    > price."

The book is in used condition. It has been read.
    No marks, no bent torn pages, or anything like that, but it is not what I would call "pristine" condition.

The book was bought the first week it came out, so it is several years old, and has had no special care to preserve it. So people should reduce what they would like to pay accordingly.

If someone is not satisfied with condition, I will refund price. I am thinking the $100 area would be a good starting point, rather than $200.

Brick

Brick: Thanks for the info.

I've heard BC was a good book,but I'm in no hurry or anxious to read it. If the rumours come true,I'll probably pick it up. Lets hope the publisher does not put out a sales pitch of limted books going for todays market value. If that's the case,I'll do without. Besides the book is outdated and many of the supreme conditions either no longer exist or very difficult to find.

Brick

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Thanks for the info.

> Besides the book is outdated and
    > many of the supreme conditions either no
    > longer exist or very difficult to find.

My understanding is that the book has been updated and expanded, though this is all, again, rumor at this point. I can see an attempt at selling the info for $200 since the first book was in such demand, but even Wong's $200 craps pamphlet is being re-published now at a much lower price. There just isn't a big market for books at that price.

Regardless, the information on 3-card poker is what drove the price of James' book to the $200 mark, and the money is a drop in the bucket compared to what you could make taking advantage of the game in the way he illustrates. I've been told (and forgive me if I've said this before) that when the book was running very low and the only copies in town were found at Gambler's Book Shop, the Stratosphere sent someone over to buy the last three copies because their game had been hurt by someone using these strategies. It's a nice story, if true, and I was told that by a store employee.

Bettie

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Condition.

> If someone is not satisfied with condition,
    > I will refund price. I am thinking the $100
    > area would be a good starting point, rather
    > than $200.

That seems perfectly reasonable, and I still have a waiting list of people interested from back when I had several copies being re-sold through us. Do you plan on an "auction" to see what kind of price you can get? If not, I already have a customer for you. Please e-mail me directly to discuss the matter further.

Thanks,
    Bettie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast