Thread: bjplayer: soft hand hitting + ACE

bjplayer

bjplayer: soft hand hitting + ACE

if you have a hand like A3 and dealer has for example 2, and you hit and then get another ACE, do you stand on 15, or keep hitting since you also have 5? People play it different a lot. What is the correct bs on this?

Parker

Parker: Hit

> if you have a hand like A3 and dealer has
    > for example 2, and you hit and then get
    > another ACE, do you stand on 15, or keep
    > hitting since you also have 5? People play
    > it different a lot. What is the correct bs
    > on this?

We don't hit a hard 15 vs. 2 because a dealer 2 is a relatively weak hand, and we don't want to risk breaking.

However, the only way we can win with 15 is if the dealer breaks. With a soft 15, the possibility of breaking is removed. We cannot make the hand any worse by hitting, and we may improve it.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: soft hand hitting + ACE

> if you have a hand like A3 and dealer has
    > for example 2, and you hit and then get
    > another ACE, do you stand on 15, or keep
    > hitting since you also have 5? People play
    > it different a lot. What is the correct bs
    > on this?

I strongly suggest that you check out the BS cards that are available on this site, or, at the very least, a book or a Web site that will provide accurate BS for all rules.

In the meantime, know that you never stand with any soft hand that is A,6 (total of all the othe cards with the ace) or lower. And, stop calling A,3,A "fifteen" -- it's "ace-four," and if you think of it that way, you'll never consider standing on it again.

Don

bjplayer

bjplayer: Re: soft hand hitting + ACE

> I strongly suggest that you check out the BS
    > cards that are available on this site, or,
    > at the very least, a book or a Web site that
    > will provide accurate BS for all rules.

> In the meantime, know that you never stand
    > with any soft hand that is A,6 (total of all
    > the othe cards with the ace) or lower. And,
    > stop calling A,3,A "fifteen" --
    > it's "ace-four," and if you think
    > of it that way, you'll never consider
    > standing on it again.

> Don

Thanks, I reviewed the information sheet that comes with your ultimate blackjack strategy cards that i have, and although the soft hands don't talk about a multi card soft hand with another ACE as one of those third or fourth cards, i now understand what to do.
    However, something I still am confused by is the split box play, specifically regarding 12. for example, the double deck h17 NDAS, if 12 is t,2, is this a TEN only, or any FACE card (valued at ten)? And also, T,2 vs. 4, CD stategy says to hit, otherwise stand. but i don't understand the 'OTHERWISE STAND'
    are you referring to the only combination that is not listed as hard 12 (9,3)? mening 9,3 vs. 4, always stand? and 9,3 vs 3, always hit? since 8,4 fs. 3 is stand and 7, 5 vs. 3 is stand.

I think i just answered my own question, explainig this, but i was just wondering if i am correct. thanks for any feedback.

Wolverine

Wolverine: CD hands

> However, something I still am confused by is
    > the split box play, specifically regarding
    > 12. for example, the double deck h17 NDAS,
    > if 12 is t,2, is this a TEN only, or any
    > FACE card (valued at ten)? And also, T,2 vs.
    > 4, CD stategy says to hit, otherwise stand.
    > but i don't understand the 'OTHERWISE STAND'
    > are you referring to the only combination
    > that is not listed as hard 12 (9,3)? mening
    > 9,3 vs. 4, always stand? and 9,3 vs 3,
    > always hit? since 8,4 fs. 3 is stand and 7,
    > 5 vs. 3 is stand.

What you are talking about are Composition Dependent hands. CD hands are just what they sound like, the strategy is composition dependent. If you have hard 12 with 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, or X-2 (X standing for ANY ten valued card) they all play slightly different, but are all grouped together as Hard-12 vs a dealer 4. The basic strategy of Hard-12 vs 4 is to stand. However, the CD Basic Strategy is to stand on hard-12 vs 4 unless it is a X-2 vs 4. The removal of the ten valued card swings the opportunity to hit this hand into the correct strategy column. So, when you receive an X-2 vs 4 hand, hit it rather than stand. If you have hard 12 via 8-4 vs 4, then stand as basic strategy calls for.

This is BASIC STRATEGY and does not replace playing by indices. If you know that the count is +5 or -3, your play of hard-12 vs. 4 may be quite different than the strategy outlined above. After you have mastered basic strategy, then you will be ready to add index plays.

Good luck with your journey. It is a fun one.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: soft hand hitting + ACE

> Thanks, I reviewed the information sheet
    > that comes with your ultimate blackjack
    > strategy cards that i have, and although the
    > soft hands don't talk about a multi card
    > soft hand with another ACE as one of those
    > third or fourth cards, i now understand what
    > to do.

The other ace isn't any different from any other card: it counts its value, and, of course, you can't count a second ace as 11 after you've already counted the first ace as 11, so it counts as one.

> However, something I still am confused by is
    > the split box play, specifically regarding
    > 12. for example, the double deck h17 NDAS,
    > if 12 is t,2, is this a TEN only, or any
    > FACE card (valued at ten)?

There is never any difference between an actual 10 and a face card in blackjack. All four -- 10, Jack, Queen, King -- are called "tens" or "pictures" or "face cards."

> And also, T,2 vs.
    > 4, CD stategy says to hit, otherwise stand.
    > but i don't understand the 'OTHERWISE STAND'
    > are you referring to the only combination
    > that is not listed as hard 12 (9,3)? meaning
    > 9,3 vs. 4, always stand? and 9,3 vs 3,
    > always hit? since 8,4 fs. 3 is stand and 7,
    > 5 vs. 3 is stand.

> I think i just answered my own question,
    > explainig this, but i was just wondering if
    > i am correct. thanks for any feedback.

The right side of the box is for C-D strategy. if you have T,2 v. 4, you stand. The left side of the box is for T-D strategy, which ignores the actual cards that comprise the hand. The left side is also used for any hands that are the results of a split, so if you were to split 2,2 v. 4 and you received a T on one of the 2s, you would now stand on your T,2 v. 4, because the holding is not your original two cards.

Don

Dog Hand

Dog Hand: T,2 v. 4

The right side of the box is for C-D strategy. if you have T,2 v. 4, you stand.

Don,

Since bjplayer was asking about DD, that should say hit, right?

Dog Hand

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Oops! Sorry.

Don wrote:

> The right side of the box is for C-D
    > strategy. If you have T,2 v. 4, you stand. (No!!)

Dog Hand wrote:

> Since bjplayer was asking about DD, that
    > should say hit, right?

Right! Sorry.

Don