Thread: ES: The World's Greatest Blackjack Book

ES

ES: The World's Greatest Blackjack Book

Is there any truth to the rumor that a new edition of The World's Greatest Blackjack Book is being written?

Parker

Parker: Yes, indeed

> Is there any truth to the rumor that a new
    > edition of The World's Greatest Blackjack
    > Book is being written?

As he discussed at some length in a Don's Domain chat last September, Lance Humble is indeed working on a new edition of WGBJB.

Yet another reason to join Don's Domain (this chat is in the archive).

Myooligan

Myooligan: Any chance. . .

it'll include a new title? I mean, come on Lance, you're a psych professor and a professional card counter, surely you can give us something more creative than "The World's Greatest Blackjack Book"

Seemore Scagnetti

Seemore Scagnetti: Damn I finally got the indexes down :-) *NM*

ES

ES: Comments and Suggestions for the New WGBJB

I am a member of Don's Domain. I just never joined a chat. I'll join some in the future.

I bought the WGBJB when it first came out in 1980. I had heard of Hi-Opt I, but didn't want to pay $200, $75 or whatever was the price of the system before the book was published. The book has early surrender indices-I play in Atlantic City, where early surrender was available in 1980-which Revere Advanced Plus Minus doesn't have, so I switched to Hi-Opt I.

What I like about the book is the following:

Correct Basic Strategy for 1, 2, 4+ decks and major rule variations

History of card counting

Hi-Opt I

Ace side count explained

Exposure of falacies

Basic strategy for "No house blackjack" and how to play when the dealer's hole card is known

The stories in the book

What should change:

Add Hi-Opt II indices and Hi-Opt I beyond +-6. Note: I am aware of the I18 and infrequency of extreme counts

Drop the line on the cover describing Hi-Opt I as "the most powerful simple BETTING strategy." This may mislead potential buyers unaware of Hi-Opt I to believe that it is an ineffective progressive/pyramid betting system. BJA has shown Hi-Opt II to be the most effective system. Note: I know that the content of the cover of a book is often determined by the publisher, not the author.

Drop or de-emphasize the material on cheating by the dealers, especially the suggestion that tough-looking or bejeweled dealers are likely to cheat.

Drop or de-emphasize the chapter on "Playing Smart Without a System." Not playing w/o correct Basic Strategy is stupid!

Drop or de-emphasize the material on the 5 betting methods in Chap. 10, except as camouflage, and replace it with Kelly betting and more material on risk of ruin.

Parker, please pass this on to Dr. Humble. Do you have any idea of when the book will be available?

ES

ES: Correction

Not playing w/o correct Basic Strategy is stupid!

should be

Not playing with correct Basic Strategy is stupid!