Thread: Amarillo Slim, Gambler With a Sly Wit, Dies at 83

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Amarillo Slim, Gambler With a Sly Wit, Dies at 83

"I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Play Poker to Win is a hilarious read, and a must for would-be professionals with a sense of humor. Whether or not the strategies discussed in the book are worth much these days is open to debate, but it's filled with nuggets and hilarious anecdotes. RIP!

His biography, Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People is also quite entertaining.

Quote from the NYT article:

"He once bet the 1939 Wimbledon tennis champion Bobby Riggs that he could beat him at table tennis as long as he, Amarillo Slim, picked the rackets, then showed up with iron skillets — with which he had spent months practicing. He then bet a syndicate of Tennessee gamblers that he could beat a world table tennis champion.

The champion practiced with a skillet, only to find that Amarillo Slim had changed weapons. He showed up with a pair of empty Coke bottles and won handily."

And another from the man himself, which is of particular interest to APs:

"It never hurts for potential opponents to think you’re more than a little stupid and can hardly count all the money in your hip pocket, much less hold on to it."

Quote Originally Posted by RWM View Post
    His biography, Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People is also quite entertaining.
    +1

After reading his bio, "slim" became a verb amongst my friends.