Thread: nerodog: HiLo w/ Ace Side Count for SD

nerodog

nerodog: HiLo w/ Ace Side Count for SD

How about this: Using HiLo with an ace side count for single deck games. When you bet, you do so based on the TC. When it comes time to make a playing decision when an ace would help you (e.g., A,8 v 6) then you use the TC as is to decide whether to stand or double. But if you have a hand where an ace would hurt you (e.g., 5,6 vs 10 or A) you subtract the remaining aces from the RC, convert to an adjusted TC and then make the decision base on the adjusted TC. Assuming the SD game was worth playing in the first place, would this method be worth the trouble for whatever playing efficiency you gain?

Thanks,
    ND

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: HiLo w/ Ace Side Count for SD

> How about this: Using HiLo with an ace side
    > count for single deck games. When you bet,
    > you do so based on the TC. When it comes
    > time to make a playing decision when an ace
    > would help you (e.g., A,8 v 6) then you use
    > the TC as is to decide whether to stand or
    > double. But if you have a hand where an ace
    > would hurt you (e.g., 5,6 vs 10 or A) you
    > subtract the remaining aces from the RC,
    > convert to an adjusted TC and then make the
    > decision base on the adjusted TC. Assuming
    > the SD game was worth playing in the first
    > place, would this method be worth the
    > trouble for whatever playing efficiency you
    > gain?

Wong has all the tables for exactly what you describe in the OLD version of "Pro BJ." For SD, the adjustments are certainly worth something, although the biggest gain from ace adjustment is with the insurance decision.

Don

nerodog

nerodog: Re: HiLo w/ Ace Side Count for SD

> ... although the
    > biggest gain from ace adjustment is with the
    > insurance decision.

Would the remainder of the gains be in the same order as the I18? Insurance, 16 v 10, etc.?

Thanks,
    ND

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: HiLo w/ Ace Side Count for SD

> Would the remainder of the gains be in the
    > same order as the I18? Insurance, 16 v 10,
    > etc.?

No, not at all. Much less.

Don

Clarke Cant

Clarke Cant: Re: HiLo w/ Ace Side Count for SD

Go to bjrnet.com counting board and search for my Blackjack Therapy. I personally don't like side counting, but doing this for aces will raise the PE from .51 to about .61 . For deeply dealt single deck games this can be important. For a full discussion of this try to find a copy of the 1981 edition of Proffesional Blackjack. It was the edition in the black hardcover--it lasted longer than the green trade paperback 1995 edition copy I just replaced.

The above should let you do some easy estimates yourself. It is your decision!