Thread: Dog: Stop loss limits & Playing Bankrolls

Dog

Dog: Stop loss limits & Playing Bankrolls

What percentage of your bankroll do y'all take out when going out to play? I ahte carrying around lottsa money, except of course if I'm on the way home. What percentage do you tack on as a stop loss limit? For that matter, does anyone have a ceiling on how much they'll win in any given session.

Detroit-area Glenn

Detroit-area Glenn: Re: Stop loss limits & Playing Bankrolls

> What percentage of your bankroll do y'all
    > take out when going out to play? I ahte
    > carrying around lottsa money, except of
    > course if I'm on the way home. What
    > percentage do you tack on as a stop loss
    > limit? For that matter, does anyone have a
    > ceiling on how much they'll win in any given
    > session.

Dog, I suspect the answers you get to your first question will produce a wide variety of percentages. I personally take 10 percent of my total bankroll to a playing session. As for a ceiling on winnings, if you abide by Don Schlesinger's philosophy that any blackjack you play is just part of one overall lifetime session, there is no need to impose a limit on what you win. I think most of us who count cards will terminate a session when we recognize that the intensity of what we do is wearing us down and putting our playing efficiency in jeopardy.

Contrail

Contrail: Stop loss and trip stakes.

It's not a percentage based on a stop loss limit; it's a percentage large enough to ensure the probability that your trip stake will be wiped out is sufficiently low. How low is sufficiently low is a personal decision.

To figure that out you need to know your ev, sd, betting pattern, the number of hours you'll play during the trip and the number of hands you expect per hour of play. Carlson's BFB illustrates a simple approach using the ev for the maximum bet. Alternatively, programs such as BJRM will very quickly provide you the information with very little effort on your part.

If all this fails you can fall back to just a certain number of maximum bets for a given length of play. Wong in PBJ quotes 50 times the maximum bet for a day or week-end trip if that helps.

As for quitting when you're ahead for a session, that's usually based on other considerations. Common examples are limiting play to fixed time to avoid too much exposure, leaving prior to an expected shift change, leaving because the game worsens, etc.