See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New player, confused: need guidance.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

New player, confused: need guidance.

1) Has basic strategy changed lately, because I've been using the basic strategy from Wong's book: it's an older book.
    2) I am learning the Revere Point count: does the Basic Strategy table still work for this count?
    3) Do the Illustrious 18 (found in Ian Anderson's book Burning the Tables) still work for the Revere Point Count?

So basic strategy's the same now as when Wong wrote about it?
    Where can I find Illust. 18 for Revere Count? I have no problem with buying a book or purchasing information about the Revere count: just don't want to buy a book about it and then the book's outdated and the index values have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    So basic strategy's the same now as when Wong wrote about it?
    Where can I find Illust. 18 for Revere Count? I have no problem with buying a book or purchasing information about the Revere count: just don't want to buy a book about it and then the book's outdated and the index values have changed.
    Revere's book is quite outdated, I would suggest starting here: http://qfit.com/book/ModernBlackjackPage85.htm

What type of games would you predominantly be playing?

I read there, as per your request: it mostly discussed a FELT count. I have plenty of time and inclination to memorize charts: I have so far assumed that a Revere Point count will be more powerful than a FELT count: I'm not sure why I thought that, but that was my initial impression. I found some charts in that book for Revere indices; but I couldn't understand them.

I assume that the answer here won't be "Blackjack games"; although that's what I first thought to answer. Well, whatever's offerred here in the East Coast U.S.: I suppose 6 and 8 deck, and hopefully stand on soft 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I read there, as per your request: it mostly discussed a FELT count. I have plenty of time and inclination to memorize charts: I have so far assumed that a Revere Point count will be more powerful than a FELT count: I'm not sure why I thought that, but that was my initial impression. I found some charts in that book for Revere indices; but I couldn't understand them.
    FELT is a more up to dated version of Reveres Point Count, the basic FELT does have compromise indicies, but there are more indicies in the back of the book. I believe FELT outperforms RPC in sims due to the TC conversion method.

8 or 6 deck shoe games: hopefully stand on soft 17.

I might be going crazy. The FELT count appeared to have the same count numbers as the Revere count. I'm not sure what makes it different: but I'm eager to switch if it means easier access to Illustrious 18 indexes for the Felt Count.

Try to put more emphasis on your speed and accuracy and less on the counting system. In other words, just start practicing!