Thread: A few changes i am making after speed reading Modern Blackjack

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

A few changes i am making after speed reading Modern Blackjack

I am somewhat embarrassed to say I haven't read much about the game over the last year. I read and learned a lot when I was just starting, but I slowed down quite a bit once I thought I had it all figured out. I am about halfway through Norm's "Modern Blackjack." I had looked at a few of his charts before, but this is my first time reading through it. "Modern Blackjack" is really great. Most people probably already know that it is a free e-book on this site. Check it out if you haven't yet.

Up to this point I have been using Hi-Lo. I am now planning to switch to REKO. I had been thinking about switching to an unbalanced count, and after seeing how it compares to Hi-Lo it seems like a no-brainer. Recently I caught myself betting smaller than I should have been in a high count shoe game. I only realized there were so few cards left when the cut card came out. I think I have made more betting errors based on improper division than I was previously willing to admit.

The other change is that I am planning to play two hands more often. You make more money/hour, so why not? Lastly, I knew penetration was important but man, it is just so huge. Seeing those charts really drove it home. I was just a little surprised at how pen affects win rate, but what really blew me away was the effect it has on your ROR. I didn't think pen would make much of a ROR difference in large spread shoe games, but I was wrong.

Whatever count you use, if your straight counting it always comes down to DEEP PENETRATION.
    "I think, therfore I can't play blackjack."
    Arnold Snyder, Blackbelt in Blackjack pg. 229 (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by zerg View Post
    I am somewhat embarrassed to say I haven't read much about the game over the last year. I read and learned a lot when I was just starting, but I slowed down quite a bit once I thought I had it all figured out. I am about halfway through Norm's "Modern Blackjack." I had looked at a few of his charts before, but this is my first time reading through it. "Modern Blackjack" is really great. Most people probably already know that it is a free e-book on this site. Check it out if you haven't yet.

Up to this point I have been using Hi-Lo. I am now planning to switch to REKO. I had been thinking about switching to an unbalanced count, and after seeing how it compares to Hi-Lo it seems like a no-brainer. Recently I caught myself betting smaller than I should have been in a high count shoe game. I only realized there were so few cards left when the cut card came out. I think I have made more betting errors based on improper division than I was previously willing to admit.

The other change is that I am planning to play two hands more often. You make more money/hour, so why not? Lastly, I knew penetration was important but man, it is just so huge. Seeing those charts really drove it home. I was just a little surprised at how pen affects win rate, but what really blew me away was the effect it has on your ROR. I didn't think pen would make much of a ROR difference in large spread shoe games, but I was wrong.
    I always knew pen was important but not how much until I started running sims on CVCX and CVData. Even one card in a 6 deck game can make a noticeable difference in the sims. Although, in the real world, I doubt if any extra EV would be realized from such a small increase in pen since humans can't usually
    play with accuracy and consistency of a computer but the results were certainly revealing.

I get a hard on when I'm sitting at a table with good pen.
    Timidity is dangerous: Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
    I get a hard on when I'm sitting at a table with good pen.
    I prefer other causes for that happening.

muffdiver

REKO is very good count.....my count of choice too.

I spent some time a couple of years ago learning the hi-lo count system. I was under the legal gambling age and l never got a chance to use the knowledge I had gained and lost interest. I am now of age and the fire that went out a few years ago has been rekindled.
    I have forgotten most everything I learned, and I was wondering if I should take this as an opportunity to learn a new counting system (i.e. REKO). Would anyone be willing to explain some of the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andmaf View Post
    I spent some time a couple of years ago learning the hi-lo count system. I was under the legal gambling age and l never got a chance to use the knowledge I had gained and lost interest. I am now of age and the fire that went out a few years ago has been rekindled.
    I have forgotten most everything I learned, and I was wondering if I should take this as an opportunity to learn a new counting system (i.e. REKO). Would anyone be willing to explain some of the pros and cons?

Thanks!
    If you were truly proficient, you might find you can 're-discover' your old skills with a bit of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by AussiePlayer View Post
    If you were truly proficient, you might find you can 're-discover' your old skills with a bit of practice.
    Exactly my thought.

You'll find your skills will return faster than you think.
    And faster than learning a new count, imho.

Chemyst

Thanks for the advice, I am relearning hi-lo.