See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8's vs 10 how costly

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

8's vs 10 how costly

I was recently playing with a max bet out and caught a pair of 8's vs 10. I know illustrious 18 and fab 4. The proper decision was to split but I couldn't do it. I was playing heads up and figured I would rather surrender the hand and save the big cards. Any opinions as to how costly this decision was? THX

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    proper decision was to split? Says who? You made the right decision by surrendering, if you can surrender, always surrender two 8s vs a 10, the only time you wouldnt surrender would be at a time where you wouldnt really want to be playing anyway, such as around -1 or -2 and therefore you would split.. splitting 8s vs a 10 is not a +EV move, its just that you lose LESS by splitting, which makes surrendering the optimal move.. good job on surrendering, even if you thought you were wrong
    Last edited by ZenKinG; 04-18-2013 at 12:43 AM.

In a 6 deck S17 game with a fresh shuffle you will lose 48% of the time splitting vs the 50% surrendering.
    Last edited by paymypush; 04-18-2013 at 03:00 AM.

At any ramped bet you should surrender. I never split 88vT. It is cheap cover. My risk averse index chart simply says "no" where the index would be for splitting. It is a risk averse cheap cover play. I just surrender it. If not available I stand. My surrender index is +2 and My unit bet goes out at +3. Lower than that I have my min bet out. This play really cuts your variance in a BAD situation. Those are the types of situations you want to cut variance in.

was the count around +7? if so, standing would be a better option than splitting.
    big dog in charge

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    8,8 is not treated the same as stiff 16. The process should be, depending on your index numbers (I'll refer to ours here):

Option 1: Surrender if the TC is 1+ (if Sr is available)

Option 2: If Surrender is not available, it's a Stand at a TC of 5+

Option 3: If Surrender is not available, and the TC is not 5+, then the correct play is to Split.
    "There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

I assume max bet you had out was due to the count being high. So the proper thing to do is surrender vs. a ten. Remember it's not that you will win when you split or surrender 8,8 it's just that you lose less. A 16 is so bad that against a 10 you will lose about 55% of the time, on the average. (Also this is whether you hit or stand. According to Wong if you stay with a 16 you'll lose 55% of the time but if you hit you lose 54.5% of the time. So you are hitting just to lose less.) So when you split an 8,8 even if you get two eighteens, which have net losses of 20% each it's still better than holding on to the sixteen. Anyways you did the right thing by surrendering since it's assumed that the count was so high.

I feel better about my decision seeing all of the replies. I just don't understand why BJ strategy engine says to split. Also, on CVBJ using Illustrious 18 and Fab 4 it says split. Perhaps that move is Fab #5

8,8 is not a Fab 4. Again, it's treated separately from 16.
    "There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Another reason to learn ALL indices IMHO.

I had this play a few months ago but surrender was not offered. If i remember correctly my KO Tc was around +7 or +8. I didnt have this index play because its not included for kO or REKO-F, but i thought i remembered the hi-lo index to stand and not split was around +8 or +9. I took longer to decide what to do and finally decided to just go with basic strategy since i wasnt sure and had no index. Of course i got another 8 to split and ended up losing 3 max bets, maybe 4 cant remember if i doubled on one of the 8s. It bothered me for awhile after because i really didnt want to split.

Thats part of the reason i have thought about switching to hi-lo or FELT/RPC. Cause its hard to add so many indices for an unbalanced count. Right now i use about 45 indices with KO. But atleast for right now im sticking with KO. I just looked at a few other counts and they didnt have the published index for this play either so i presume this play of standing instead of splitting isnt that important. But i HATE that play!!!!! I dont care how small a gain it is!!! It doesnt come up that often at all but when it does i know it will bother me lol.

How should i deal with this play using KO? Of course surrender first if allowed. But if not allowed can i just stand or is it better to just use basic stategy.( I want to stand even at TC +3 lol but i dont). I have seen maybe +8 for hi-lo,NT21 uses +5(because risk averse maybe?). FELT-F doesnt include this index.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Standing or hitting is the risk averse play. I always stand on 16 when I don't surrender so I either stand or surrender this hand. You cut variance a lot for a small difference in EV.

I dont like to do things like that now with a smaller bankroll. Making plays like that to cut variance i dont do because i dont know enough to make decisions like that yet. I feel like where does it end, it might add up before i know it and ill be hurting myself if i start making enough of these plays. Same with cover plays. Atleast for right now, dont know what i will do in the future. Or maybe i have this backwards and i should be more risk averse with smaller bankroll?

I think i will just use +5 KO TC as the index to stand and not split if not allowed to surrender.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast