Thread: Strict Adherence to betting structure

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Strict Adherence to betting structure

How strictly do you adhere to a betting structure? Lets say your spread looks like this:
    <= 1 - 1 unit
    2 - 2 unit
    3 - 9 unit

Now lets say the running count is 6, and you believe that there ~2.25 decks left. Ignoring adjusting the spread to include half counts, how many units would you bet? When rounded up for safety, there are 3 decks left, so you'd bet 2 units. But it's closer to 2 decks remaining, would you bet 9 units? What about situations where it's closer to the cutoff. Lets say you think that you're 10 cards away from only being 2 decks left, what would you bet?
    When practicing on the software, I've been using 2.5 units (because units are $10, so just a green chip) in situations like this. Would it be better to absolutely follow the spread? If I think there are 5 cards to be dealt before there are only 2 decks, running 6, should I just bet 2 units?

"Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)

Did it never occur to you that you could bet something in between two units and nine?! Academic discussion, because if you really jump your bet from two units to nine, you aren't going to be playing very long anyway.

Don

damn, buncha assholes in this forum

Yeah, clearly, you've come to the wrong place. People here know very little about the game. You should go elsewhere to get the answers you're looking for.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Yeah, clearly, you've come to the wrong place. People here know very little about the game. You should go elsewhere to get the answers you're looking for.

Don
    To clarify - don’t believe he said we didn’t know anything - simply said we were a bunch of assholes - and to a degree, the comment has some level of truth.

@OP
    To further analyze, I read Gramazeka’s link - Are you inferring that he is an asshole? To analyze further, I thought the link was good for you? Does that make me an asshole? I’ve certainly been called worse - one simply needs to review certain Snarky comments at any time. Does that make him an asshole. Hmmm, that one may be on point as I recently and accurately did call him an asshole.

Now, to review and answer your question.
    Rule sets influence ramping - what are the rules. Assuming factors, nothing wrong with 2 units at TC2. Why 9 units at TC3. Assuming factors, your advantage has increased 100% from TC2 so why increase your bet 450%, assuming you’re playing some factor of Kelly Criterion? You’ll go broke doing this, especially if you’re on a shoe string.

You’re then commenting on rounding down your bet for safety factors commenting that you are midway between TC’s. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with half true counts and further, it is a useful tool to mask optimal play. In addition, it adds EV to tight spreads. However, rounding down makes no sense if you jump to 9 units at TC3.

Now, your RC of 10 with 2 decks left gives you a monster TC5. Is 9 units your max bet or do you go higher?

Your last sentence is unclear and needs to be explained before commenting. In any event CVCX will assist you in making decisions.

Last but not least, please advise if I am included amongst the myriad of assholes referenced.

You were very helpful, thank you. I dont remember why I had put 9 units, I was reading off of cvcx on some random sim I ran, it happened to say to jump to $90 at TC3.
    The question was mainly what to do between TC's. I ran the sim for a trip I'm planning on taking, it says optimal would be:
    TC2 - 2 unit, TC3 - 4 unit. Say the running count is 6, and I think there are 2.25 decks left. True would be 2.66, would you meet in the middle and place 3 units, or would you play like 2.3 units or something weird. Or just keep it at 2 units

PancakeStacks said
    You were very helpful, thank you
    It’s a flaw that I have
    it happened to say to jump to $90 at TC3.
    Playing a $10 unit

it says optimal would be:
    TC2 - 2 unit, TC3 - 4 unit. Say the running count is 6, and I think there are 2.25 decks left. True would be 2.66, would you meet in the middle and place 3 units, or would you play like 2.3 units or something weird. Or just keep it at 2 units
    I don’t know for sure, so let’s make some inferences. It’s logical to assume 1/2% house edge (a bit less maybe subject to factors) - why? - from a progression point
    tc0 is 1 unit
    tc1, break even is 1 unit
    tc2 is 2 units on 1/2% player advantage
    tc3 is 4 units on 1% player advantage - note, double the advantage equates to double the wager -
    tc4 is ? Units on 1.5% player advantage, so logically, 50% increase in advantage from tc3 to tc 4 takes you from 4 units to 6 units ($40-$60) - I’ll assume your sim says the same thing.

Hard to say without additional info. You said “trip” which means out of town travel. Have you estimated your total travel cost amortized over projected play time to come to an estimated expense per hour which reduces obviously your win per hour. Then of course, have you adjusted optimal ramp by adjusting ramps in the customs setting, and then to what? What depends on your strength of bankroll

Say the running count is 6, and I think there are 2.25 decks left. True would be 2.66, would you meet in the middle and place 3 units, or would you play like 2.3 units or something weird. Or just keep it at 2 units
    The magic word - depends - comes into play. How strong is your bankroll and what is deck penetration?

If shoestring, play conservatively and round down your bets keeping in mind that poorer deck pen requires faster ramping and creates higher variance - tough games to play on any shoestring and with travel expense - be careful

If strong bankroll, whale away - that middle of the road tc just choose that middle of the road wager. Then, study up on half true counts a very useful tool.

So, there is no proper answer until all of the facts are known though you can infer. Use the example of increasing bet in proportion to your advantage then determine house edge on the rule set you’re playing and finally adjust ramping to fit the proportion against the house edge you’re actually facing (cvcx can do that for you)

Gramazeka, I would Like to talk to you if possible. I was advised by Don Schlesinger.

If you are spreading 1-9, I would think that 25 dollars would be your lowest unit. You really can't get good games with good rules much under that amount. So say you are at 9, and you have to split, and double down on each hand. You are now at 36 units. 25 x 36 = $900 Can you afford that type of action on one hand? Is your bankroll large enough to cover that if you loose?