Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st vs 3rd Base

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

1st vs 3rd Base

Have been reading Snyder's material regarding basics and sequencing. Can someone explain if there are actually any discrepancies between 1st and 3rd base regarding EV? Am I misunderstanding this? Or is this present when implementing specific strategies only? Thanks

Simple answer: No. Slightly more complex answer: there might be some extremely minor effects if you get a very gross shuffle but the phenomena is so sensitive to initial conditions anyway it could hurt or help. If you find a shuffle so bad that these effects actually exist to a statistically significant extent you can murder it with any simple shuffle-tracking strategy.

I find first base much more valuable because you don't get shit for taking the dealer's cards, and you can surrender without a fast dealer immediately hitting first base.

Quote Originally Posted by PitBoss321 View Post
    I find first base much more valuable because you don't get shit for taking the dealer's cards
    There are other players at the table?

There is a minor improvement in EV when playing 3rd base. That minor improvement improves the further into the shoe you go. In good pen shoes, that improvement may turn out to become quite valuable. The reason being - you get to act on more cards being shown to you vs your table mates. As it relates to sequencing EV - don’t know.

That being said, I prefer heads up and when not heads up, I seldom play 3rd.

I find first base much more valuable because you don't get shit for taking the dealer's cards, and you can surrender without a fast dealer immediately hitting first base.
    Obviously your play is in Europe. In North America, you surrender when it's your turn to play and don't have to worry about being faster than first base decision.
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    There are other players at the table?
    Yeah, my BP's

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Obviously your play is in Europe. In North America, you surrender when it's your turn to play and don't have to worry about being faster than first base decision.
    Actually, from past posts - I would suggest Western Canada.

I guess PitBoss321 can name the winner. Oh, I actually think I can nail that down a bit further.

Very Interesting. Appreciate the thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    There is a minor improvement in EV when playing 3rd base. That minor improvement improves the further into the shoe you go. In good pen shoes, that improvement may turn out to become quite valuable. The reason being - you get to act on more cards being shown to you vs your table mates. As it relates to sequencing EV - don’t know.

That being said, I prefer heads up and when not heads up, I seldom play 3rd.
    Thanks for the input! Helped a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Archvaldor View Post
    Simple answer: No. Slightly more complex answer: there might be some extremely minor effects if you get a very gross shuffle but the phenomena is so sensitive to initial conditions anyway it could hurt or help. If you find a shuffle so bad that these effects actually exist to a statistically significant extent you can murder it with any simple shuffle-tracking strategy.
    Makes a lot more sense now. That makes me think that team play is where things might become a little more significant, but also much more complicated to implement for +EV

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    That's just not true for all of North America.

That's just not true for all of North America.
    @G Man
    Re PitBoss comments against your post 6. The PitBoss is right. Note Freightman comments post 8. Hell - not only can I name the Province, likely the city(cities) as well (1 of 2) - and likely the individual in question. Gotta be out of my mind making these comments - don’t really give a shit though.

Im not including the pit boss that I trade info and bj advice to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast