Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: actual result vs expected result

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    roliin, why do you consider 5% to be rare? Being dealt a natural is only a ~1/21 = 4.8% event.
    Point taken. My question feels pretty stupid now. I guess because I was thinking in terms of one of my CVBJ sessions where I experienced 2SDs after 37k hands and thought: surely I will dig out and get SOMEWHERE in the realm of EV after 100k hands! I dug out, but was still 2SD from EV after 100k hands. I guess 1 in 21 is 1 in 21 no matter how ya slice it. It happens, even after 1000 hours! Glad it happened on CVBJ, very humbling/illuminating.

"You look it up in a normal distribution table. See, for example, BJA3, p. 147."

Got it. So, the first number in the first row (0.0013) is a 3SD event? That happens 0.13% of the time (1 in 769)?

Quote Originally Posted by roliin View Post
    "You look it up in a normal distribution table. See, for example, BJA3, p. 147."

Got it. So, the first number in the first row (0.0013) is a 3SD event? That happens 0.13% of the time (1 in 769)?
    Yes.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Why would you square the $724 only to then take the square root? Just take the square root of the number of hours (155) and multiply that result by $724.

Don
    Partially to "show my work" and also because....I feel like I know enough to get the right answer, but I don't know enough to be able to do fancy math. I'm more of a "n0 is when EV = 1SD, now figure out the formula" instead of "the formula for n0 is _____" person. Also

@OP: You can also use the following formula to go from SD to %:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i...%2F2%29++du%29

Change the "-1.24" in the formula to whatever SD. The result is the probability of that SD or worse.
    Last edited by RS; 02-17-2023 at 06:23 PM.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12