See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Can you surrender if you have previously taken Insurance ?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Can you surrender if you have previously taken Insurance ?

If you are playing at a black jack table that allows you to surrender, can you still surrender if insurance was offered?
    So that I make myself clear, let me explain this specific scenario.

1. All players have been dealt two cards, and the dealers face card is displaying an Ace.
    2. The dealer offers insurance and you either buy insurance or you do not.
    3. The dealer does not have a black jack and so you either lost, or did not lose the insurance bet if you placed on the table.
    4. Question : When it is your turn can you surrender half of your bet even though insurance was previously offered?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yes, but it is an odd play that may draw attention. I've done it a few times.

Yes, insurance is a bet on the fact that a dealer has a BJ. Surrender is a strategy decision option available after the dealer checks for a BJ
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Yes, but it is an odd play that may draw attention. I've done it a few times.
    True, but every time you take insurance with a crappy hand it draws attention, whether surrender is offered/taken or not. Ploppies don't insure crummy hands.

Thanks Experts !!!

I have done it. The dealer and the other players usually think I'm a complete idiot.

True!
    G Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    I have done it. The dealer and the other players usually think I'm a complete idiot.
    Haha.. yes I've done it a bunch too. The looks from other players are priceless but when you're getting your money back with slop vs blackjack it's a pretty satisfying feeling. When he doesn't have it and you surrender right after it's almost embarrassing. Have to be fast because the dealer usually assumes you aren't insuring your 16 and sometimes I haven't acted quick enough and I'm watching the dealer flip blackjack. Was playing last night with large bets out there and the dealer flew through his insurance request and I missed insuring my two crappy hands. He flipped blackjack. Couple hands later same situation, I had to hold him up to get more money out for insurance. Flipped blackjack again. Big juicy count and the dealer got the 20s and blackjacks while I got the 15s and 16s.. fun game..

Quote Originally Posted by psufan View Post
    Haha.. yes I've done it a bunch too on a recommendation from this site. The looks from other players are priceless but when you're getting your money back with slop vs blackjack it's a pretty satisfying feeling. When he doesn't have it and you surrender right after it's almost embarrassing. Have to be fast because the dealer usually assumes you aren't insuring your 16 and sometimes I haven't acted quick enough and I'm watching the dealer flip blackjack. Was playing last night with large bets out there and the dealer flew through his insurance request and I missed insuring my two crappy hands. He flipped blackjack. Couple hands later same situation, I had to hold him up to get more money out for insurance. Flipped blackjack again. Big juicy count and the dealer got the 20s and blackjacks while I got the 15s and 16s.. fun game..
    Let me ask you this. How much time does the dealer give you to make a decision? Does it have to be an instant answer or can you think about it and look for your money?
    Last edited by Ronan1001; 04-21-2023 at 01:22 AM.

You can control the speed of the game with verbal commands and physical gestures. Be assertive and the dealer will wait.

Blog Entries

I've found just raising your hand will stop the dealer. Also, pointing when a dealer makes an error can work.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

The problem with verbal; commands is if there's a dispute (such as the dealer flying by before you can surrender), surveillance can't confirm it. As Norm pointed out, hand gestures are best.

This is why dealers wave their hand across the table when offering INS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    You can control the speed of the game with verbal commands and physical gestures. Be assertive and the dealer will wait.
    Exactly. My money, so I can call the shots at the gaming table