See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Counting Woes!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Counting Woes!

Counting for me has been a struggle. Going through a deck in less than 30 seconds repeatedly. But hitting 25 seconds here and there. Kyle Sever wrote some tips in the Blackjack Forum by Arnold Snyder and I quote" Glue the number inside your head visually ". Struggling with that because I have to verbally repeat it. Bigjerr wrote "try negatives in a foreign language". The problem with this is when I get to negative 15 in Spanish I should just say negative. Since I've started counting I've been using the letter D for negatives and it seems to work but I'm not so sure it is best. BJA by Blackjack Apprenticeship mobile app, and Norm's CVB Blackjack software just recently downloaded to my laptop are what I use now also. Any suggestions from the minds of the great ones who gather here would be much appreciated.
    Sincerely
    21Mouse

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I'm new too. But a big game changer for me is "collapsing". Not sure what other people call it.

But say a hand starts at RC 4 (basic hi-lo). 1st base gets 2/5, 2nd: 10/Q, 3rd: 9/10, dealer up: 3. Instead of going from 1st base to dealer saying "+6, +4, +3, +4", scan and cancel out. 1st base cancels 2nd player. 3rd player cancels dealer. RC 4. Update the RC 1 time instead of 4.

This may seem obvious to a vet. For a new player it can make things 10x easier.

Canceling cards made easier.

Good to know. Glad I'm not the only new kid on the block, lol. Thanks seedandfeed.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by seedandfeed View Post
    But a big game changer for me is "collapsing". Not sure what other people call it.

Instead of going from 1st base to dealer saying "+6, +4, +3, +4", scan and cancel out. 1st base cancels 2nd player. 3rd player cancels dealer. RC 4. Update the RC 1 time instead of 4.
    It's called canceling.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Cancelling is a must for the initial hands!

For the remaining initial cards not canceled and for additional player cards dealt to complete each hand, I have found a unique way to keep track of the running count; that is to use the good old fashion number line taught to us in grade 2.
    x
    -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I keep a mental picture of the running count on a horizontal straight line and move right for a low card and left for a high card. I had a tendency to do the math in my head -4 +1 = -3 and substitute the +1 as the running count.
    This way I now just see the count moving left or right to the neighboring number without all the mental conversation/thoughts.

[QUOTE=CuriousOne;306918]Cancelling is a must for the initial hands!

For the remaining initial cards not canceled and for additional player cards dealt to complete each hand, I have found a unique way to keep track of the running count; that is to use the good old fashion number line taught to us in grade 2.
    x
    -8 -7 -6 -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I keep a mental picture of the running count on a horizontal straight line and move right for a low card and left for a high card. I had a tendency to do the math in my head -4 +1 = -3 and substitute the +1 as the running count.
    This way I now just see the count moving left or right to the neighboring number without all the mental conversation/thoughts.[/Quote
    Think I'll give this a whirl.

Keep them coming folks, don't be shy.

"Don't Cast Your Pearls Before Swine" (Jesus)